Updating drivers

The Gelded Geek: Any issues relating to hardware, troubleshooting computer issues for NWN1 and NWN2, building a new computer, etc
-Saviour Sev-
Noob

Updating drivers

Post by -Saviour Sev- »

Ok so heres the deal.
I'm trying to update to the latest driver for my graphics card (NVidia GeForce 8600M GT). The driver version that I am trying to get is 175.16. It says tha it's compatible with my graphics card.
But when I try to install it it says that I am running a different version of windows vista. I downloaded the driver version which is compatible to 32-bit vista, didnt work. Then I downloaded the one compatible to 64-bit vista, didn't work either. Now I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit Home edition OHM or whatever its called (I built my notebook through Dell).
On many games I have been jumpy and crashing every so often, and I know it's not my computer specs and I have become to think that it is my outdated driver cusing the problems.
Just wondering if anybody can help me to install this driver.
Sev, Xev
---------
Aaaiiiiiiiii!

Bargeld
PKer

Re: Updating drivers

Post by Bargeld »

With most laptops, you need to get the driver from the manfacturer directy (dell). Generic drivers usually have issues on laptops.

I bought Microsoft's 'Fable' a couple years ago to find out, after installing, that this vid card had issues. So I explored everything I could (i'm an IT professional) and came to the above conclusion. I ended up shelving Fable unlit I got a different PC. Which ended up happeneing a couple months ago, with the same results. To me the irony is that it's a microsoft game on a microst os using microsoft directX. And it doesn't work. Such is the nature of things sometimes.

Try dell support downloads with crossed fingers. :D
Death Dealers ::DD::
Laufer - Gemetzel - Force - Little Fist - Egil - Torture - Hatshepsu - Nemesis - Hierophant - Supernaut - Flesh Hound - Insurrection - Antithesis - Dead of Winter - Volcanus 2000

Return to “General Computer Support”