Change NWN2 Dispel spells.

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
Spura
Wheres the donation box?

Change NWN2 Dispel spells.

Post by Spura »

A thing that bothers me when playing other servers is that invariably I end up playing buff monster builds, mostly due to the fact that with current implementation of dispel system, anything with 25 caster levels is completely immune to all dispel attempts but Mordenkainen's Disjunction. Cleric, bard and druid mobs and also mage mobs without mord are just laughable. They waste round after round bombarding me with dispels since AI figures out I have crapload of buffs on, but they have 0% of dispelling. On the server I currently play on, only a single boss can dispel any of my builds.
To make matter worse, with next NWN2 PrC that increase caster level and Practiced Spellcaster feat, it's now easier than ever to make a cheesy multiclassed build and still reach caster level 25 and laugh at things.

For instance only a mord can dispel Cleric 12/Stormlord 10/WM 8 with Practiced spellcaster(Cleric), as this build has caster level 25.

So wherever I go, about 80% of all builds made relies heavily on buffs(from cleric, mage, bard, even druid). There's no downside to buff heavy builds when you have like 2 creatures on whole server that can mord.

Anyway, what I'm proposing for balance in NS5 is that Greater dispelling, Dispel, Lesser Dispel are uncapped(currently the bonus from caster level is capped at +15, +10, +5 respectively), then make Dispel bonus be 1d20 + caster level - 5 and Lesser Dispel be 1d20 + caster level - 10. Greater dispelling without penalty, making it as powerful as mord in terms of dispel. Mord still carries the bonus of 100% removing a group of protections(stoneskin, mantles, energy resist buffs) and reducing SR.

This will make buff monster build actually have a vulnerability.
Crimson...my humble attempt at reaching godhood.
Bard/fighter/RDD

Aarkon Draco
Newbie Helper

Re: Change NWN2 Dispel spells.

Post by Aarkon Draco »

yeah good post this has been my experience aswell only ont the reverse side mostly lol trying to tonedown all thoes sf, sl, and other uber cheese builds lol.
Balion, Blade of Torm

Blystos Re wrote:"Join the Northern Coalition.
We have Motivational Posters."

Killim1
Noob

Post by Killim1 »

Agreed....it's never fun playing on a server that is slanted against non-buff type toons.

Spura
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Spura »

And while you can solve problems like that by sticking level 30 caster mobs with mord around every corner(which is very unrealistic, why would there be an archmage in every group of trolls you find), things get even worse if the PW allows or encourages PvP.
Crimson...my humble attempt at reaching godhood.
Bard/fighter/RDD

Dugaru
Developer

Post by Dugaru »

Spura wrote:A thing that bothers me when playing other servers is that invariably I end up playing buff monster builds, mostly due to the fact that with current implementation of dispel system, anything with 25 caster levels is completely immune to all dispel attempts but Mordenkainen's Disjunction. Cleric, bard and druid mobs and also mage mobs without mord are just laughable. They waste round after round bombarding me with dispels since AI figures out I have crapload of buffs on, but they have 0% of dispelling. On the server I currently play on, only a single boss can dispel any of my builds.
To make matter worse, with next NWN2 PrC that increase caster level and Practiced Spellcaster feat, it's now easier than ever to make a cheesy multiclassed build and still reach caster level 25 and laugh at things.

For instance only a mord can dispel Cleric 12/Stormlord 10/WM 8 with Practiced spellcaster(Cleric), as this build has caster level 25.

So wherever I go, about 80% of all builds made relies heavily on buffs(from cleric, mage, bard, even druid). There's no downside to buff heavy builds when you have like 2 creatures on whole server that can mord.

Anyway, what I'm proposing for balance in NS5 is that Greater dispelling, Dispel, Lesser Dispel are uncapped(currently the bonus from caster level is capped at +15, +10, +5 respectively), then make Dispel bonus be 1d20 + caster level - 5 and Lesser Dispel be 1d20 + caster level - 10. Greater dispelling without penalty, making it as powerful as mord in terms of dispel. Mord still carries the bonus of 100% removing a group of protections(stoneskin, mantles, energy resist buffs) and reducing SR.

This will make buff monster build actually have a vulnerability.

Don't worry, the dispel spells have been addressed in the class balance forums. It will be possible to dispel with Greater Dispel (and Wall of such) buffs cast even by a level 30 pure caster.
-ns5 class balance-

cely
PKer

Post by cely »

Dugaru wrote:Don't worry, the dispel spells have been addressed in the class balance forums. It will be possible to dispel with Greater Dispel (and Wall of such) buffs cast even by a level 30 pure caster.
The class balance forums are in our super secret ns5 dev only section of the forums :D
cely
NS4 Server Admin
NS5 Developer (retired)

Dugaru
Developer

Post by Dugaru »

Right. I just wanted to make sure that the OP's worries were addressed :)
-ns5 class balance-

Kromix
Addict

Post by Kromix »

Dugaru wrote:Right. I just wanted to make sure that the OP's worries were addressed :)
Everyone cannot level past lvl 1 and are not allowed to use gear nor weapons. no more OP.
Image Image
TGPO wrote: Call me a nazi all you want [...] it wont change the way I approach things.

TheBestDeception
Developer

Post by TheBestDeception »

I was rather favorable to NS4's "Abjuration" focus feats to increase Greater Dispel success, since otherwise it was a pretty useless feat to take. But I haven't experienced dispelling in NS5, so I can't really comment on that system.
But, it's such a draining job that, until you've DMed on an NWN server yourself, you the playerbase, have got to cut the DMs some slack. - Flailer

Return to “NS5 Ideas and Suggestions”