Katana in NS5

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here

Should the katana be a finessable weapon?

No; Samurai should be able to bench-press pickup truck!
36%
Yes; Sure, ninjas are buff, but let's see a strength-based toon pull moves like THIS!
64%

Total votes: 14

Blystos Re
PKer

Katana in NS5

Post by Blystos Re »

Since NS5 won't be playable without a hak pack, perhaps we can make a change to something that has bugged me since I first started playing Neverwinter Nights.

The Katana, a blade designed for perfect balance and accuracy, taking years of practice to perfect the use of: this graceful weapon, as it stands now, is far more effective in the hands of a strength-based Harper Scout than it is in the hands of a highly trained finesse fighter.

The traditional weapon of a fighter Githzerai (aka: Zerth), at least as far as I've seen, is a weapon made of limbo material formed by the consciousness of it's master which closely resembles a katana. With weapon finesse being an inherent Githzerai feat, it seems odd that the katana be a strength-only weapon.

So, my question (and, I suppose, my petition) is: Should the katana be changed to be made a finesse weapon in NS5, the land where all dreams become a possibility? What do you think? What do the devs think?

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Re: Katana in NS5

Post by Amoenotep »

katana is finesse weapon...but don't tell Lokey i said that ;)
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

Blystos Re
PKer

Post by Blystos Re »

:shock:

Oh.

...moot point then I suppose.

:mrgreen:

cely
PKer

Post by cely »

Amoenotep wrote:katana is finesse weapon...but don't tell Lokey i said that ;)
According to nwnwiki and nwn2wiki, the katana cannot be finessed because it is a medium size weapon. The only medium size weapon that is allowed to be finessed is the rapier.

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Weapon_Finesse
http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Weapon_Finesse

Having watched countless Samurai movies in Japan and having read books about Iaido, my personal opinion is that the katana is not a weapon of finesse, but rather a weapon of strength and control. I also have concerns about giving a dex based character a weapon that does 1d10 dmg.
cely
NS4 Server Admin
NS5 Developer (retired)

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

what the hell do you know...if its not rocks dwarves don't know what it is ;)
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

Nyeleni
Relic Raider

Post by Nyeleni »

As opposed to persons wearing masks and hiding in shadows. They certainly know what thing is eh? ;)

But I have to agree with the rock loving underground dweller... Don't think the katana is finessable, although the duels were fast and mostly one hit only. What was it called again? Iajitsu? Maybe it's a wrong name from Legends of 5 Rings RPG.
A Wakizashi on the other hand is certainly finessable. Being it the short sword, paired with a katana usually and forming the Daisho.
Aiya Mielikki! CELEB ALCONTARI CUYO ANANN!

For the Glory of Torm! Clericus Liberatus Anno Dominis - Gloria Triadis!

VagaStorm
Developer

Post by VagaStorm »

I think a 2 handed katana should replace the scyte. The way a katana is wielded with its push'n pull tactics maks it a WAY more sensible wepon for mass crits than a farming tool.... just my 2 cent :p
Best Regards
VagaStorm

Why would I want to count 12 hours twice? I’m perfectly capable of counting to 24, and while we’re at it, can someone go shoot named time zones. GMT+x is all we need!

Amoenotep wrote:if you die to harper that just means your build sucks.

Nyeleni
Relic Raider

Post by Nyeleni »

Well, actually ever tried to poke somebody with that clumsy weapon (should only be slashing)? I still don't understand why scythes have that damage range. But oh well, it looks pretty awesome if you can wield it I guess.
I still prefer a halberd though. Was the ultimate weapon against cavalry and pike formations esp. in the 16th century.
Aiya Mielikki! CELEB ALCONTARI CUYO ANANN!

For the Glory of Torm! Clericus Liberatus Anno Dominis - Gloria Triadis!

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Nyeleni wrote:But I have to agree with the rock loving underground dweller... Don't think the katana is finessable, although the duels were fast and mostly one hit only. What was it called again? Iajitsu? Maybe it's a wrong name from Legends of 5 Rings RPG.
A Wakizashi on the other hand is certainly finessable. Being it the short sword, paired with a katana usually and forming the Daisho.
I really like the L5R system...much prefer to DnD for tabletop. Iaijutsu technique was pretty strong iirc, especially for Crane. Though mostly we would go for dishonor the first chance we got (gambling is good for this) and try for Shadowlands contagion or Maho stuff within the first 5 minutes (dude, your eyes turn into glowing green embers, it doesn't have a downside!) ;)

What cely said...
Last edited by Lokey on Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: you yours you're etc, ack!
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

lord_modred
Spam Master General

Post by lord_modred »

the reason scythes have a massive crit range is mostly due to the way the blade is built. it may be a clumsy weapon for the most part, but if you hit someone in a sensitive spot, that's a large, heavy, razor sharp, hooked instrument tearing through you and it's going to do a hell of a lot of damage.
"O cruel fate, floating through the void of space like gravity's plaything. O to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee."

help save world hunger!

mgrjebbo
PKer

Post by mgrjebbo »

If it were two handed wouldnt it just then be a Nodachi?
Amoenotep wrote:Interesting turn of events.....

VagaStorm
Developer

Post by VagaStorm »

mgrjebbo wrote:If it were two handed wouldnt it just then be a Nodachi?
I had to look that one up in wkiipedia, and in that article there where refrances to sevral other sqords, all of which I might refear to as long,medium and shot katanas. So my 2 handed katana would definatly be a Nodachi :)
Best Regards
VagaStorm

Why would I want to count 12 hours twice? I’m perfectly capable of counting to 24, and while we’re at it, can someone go shoot named time zones. GMT+x is all we need!

Amoenotep wrote:if you die to harper that just means your build sucks.

Celorn
Relic Raider

Post by Celorn »

problem solved?:

Just make the 'like katana' ie: Ninja-To sword, when it's with shield it requires strength for AB, when no shield it's 2-handed and finessable.
ImageImage

Fatzo
Newbie Helper

Post by Fatzo »

oooh epic :)
Fatzo - Self-Proclaimed Supreme Glutton of TLB since February, 2006 !
Fatzo - lvl 40 ; Augustus - lvl 40 - NS4 Main

Fatzo - lvl 70 WoW - Lightninghoof
Fatzo - lvl 33 LOTRO - Brandywine
Praise Bonosus ! God of Cupcakes !
oOooOOo SPAM !

Return to “NS5 Ideas and Suggestions”