East Server

This is the forum to discuss events on the East server.
Billiard
Newbie Helper

Re: East Server

Post by Billiard »

Well good to have the update - looks like we might have the chance to restart with a clean vault though - kind of a fun challenge!

Pros
Spamalot

Post by Pros »

Well at the moment I'm stuck. Got a new hard drive today but I believe the motherboard is just too tired(and outdated) and may also be a part of the problem. In any case I'll need to get another box which I'll go check out tomorrow(Thursday).

If I can get the server going again it will be a clean vault. 8 years = lots of players with a ton of files in the database and the player vault. Now building this all again from scratch will be a challenge although I believe I have a few backups of all the main program parts.
Pros
Gzemnid - God of Trickery
Pelor - God of Sun, the shining one

Dr_Fangorn
Developer

Post by Dr_Fangorn »

Another option is for me to turn North back on, as it has basically been sitting under my desk since I shut the server down early this year. RL has removed me from a regular NS presence for quite a while, but it IS an option I would be happy to consider if enough folks are willing to come back to North. Pros and I will keep you apprised.
----------
DM Fang
Co-Lead, NS 5
Developer, NS 3.5
Server Op, NS 3.5 North

DM Sun Tzu
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Sun Tzu »

I like the idea of a clean vault. It would get me back to playing as well as DM'ing.

But bringing North back would be a viable option. Many of our players have toons there and anyone that doesn't would find plenty of help.

Does North have all of the latest changes that were made?
DM Sun Tzu

"to subjugate the enemy's army without doing battle is the highest of excellence."

Billiard
Newbie Helper

Post by Billiard »

Well starting over on North or starting over on East is about the same to me - so I say save Pros the hassle and just get North up and running again!

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Ask around before rebuilding with a hardware budget. Off the top of my head, ok mobo + some iSeries sweet spot + omigod new ram but that's cheap now + psu + say 40GB SSD (this makes a huge difference) should be cheap compared to price of old server components at least.

IIRC, win server 2k3? That's close to end of life, but you got it now and know how to use it. Linux + above has proved fantastic on ns4 though (it would be 2 trivial changes to get 3.5 to run on it).

Software-wise it was just vnc server + mysql + winserver gui tools package + 1.69 nwn server package? Can pillage ns specific stuff from north easily enough.
LinuxPup wrote:DDR-3 1600 should be good.

For motherboards, the ASUS P7H55-M/CSM looks good. It's $100 and supports Core i3/i5/i7. It's micro ATX, which I don't know if that's a problem for you, but it would at least take up less space.

(From elsewhere about i3 cpu) The video graphics chip is now on the CPU package itself... make sure you get a H55 or H57 chipset. The p55 chipset won't support the new intel integrated graphics. We just need enough graphics to setup the box and let it run.. 3D isn't important.

On another note, you'll be happy to know that our server is currently only using 11.5GB of space (including OS)... that's nothing. For hard drives, let's think about going for a "cheap" Intel X25-V 40GB drive ($125 on Newegg). Reboots will be much shorter, and so would mod rebuilds. Since we're intending on going Linux we'll want to make sure the kernel supports TRIM though (apparently 2.6.33+ does)...
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Pros
Spamalot

Post by Pros »

I'm currently struggling with the database connection. I've tried MySQL and can't seem to connect. Lokey, if you remember any of this please send me some pointers. I can't seem to find the right driver version. I'm close but not there and tired of spinning my wheels. Pros1@sbcglobal.net
Pros

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

As long as we're not putting accounts/passwords here, should be ok :) Also cancel vnc, that OS should have a win gui server anyway (remote desktop). Absolutely update the OS fully before doing anything else. The 4(?) service packs. That should cover the stuff mysql uses. Fairly sure win firewall doesn't block the local loopback, so mysql should be fine.

MySQL server: http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/#downloads
NWNx: want the direct connection mysql one.

I updated the general how-to here: http://www.nsrealm.com/public/ns/viewto ... f=3&t=3387 Glancing at, seems fairly up to date :)

It's an ok time of day to catch fang or cely on irc, I'll be out for a few hours.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

10sec86
Noob

Post by 10sec86 »

Woohoo - progress is great.

Thanks guys, i'm starting to get cranky without NS running - you have the support of my wife to get it done :mrgreen:

koil8
Noob

Post by koil8 »

nice, i was afraid ns3.5east was going down forever :(

atm is password protected, still in work, right?

Pros
Spamalot

Post by Pros »

Yea, still can't get database connected. Service won't load. So the mod is out there with no database connection. BTW lokey, windows 7 so its as current an OS as there is. When you linked Zing's post I was already there and tried that and was getting stopped along his procedure. Its all the MySQL process. I turned off firewall and that made no difference. I've tried version 4.1 with the most success, meaning there was a process in the task manager although I had to fool with it a Zing's advice wasn't working with this system. The newer versions of MySQL are a somewhat different setup for the dsn which don't make alot of sense to me plus they wouldn't load up with what I was putting in the fields.
Pros

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Nah, current OS as there is is something like haiku :)

I'm not hep to win7, excepting that there's a song and dance to get stuff running that's installed in program files. It's like nix permissions except randomly annoying (can't just chmod it). Well do have a link to check: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/ ... rvice.html

Can't connect: Using tcp/ip--rather important? If using localhost to connect try 127.0.0.1 or the reverse if that's the case.

Please say it's not 64bit win 7. Then we're in omigod this sucks totally unknown territory.

LinuxPup
Professor Nerfalicious

Post by LinuxPup »

I run my own test server on 64-bit Win7... haven't seen any issues
Lead NS4 developer

[ Brilhasti ap Tarj ]
[ ...Darkfalz... ]
[ Azchekelon ]

Pros
Spamalot

Post by Pros »

Yea its 64 bit. I'm still fumbling around. Really outside of knowing what I'm doing now. I had the MySQL service running using 4.1 with the mysql -nt in the processes window but no odbc connection. Probably due to me putting in wrong info in certain fields. I'll keep guessing for now. If it helps I can do that remote access process to allow someone to look at whats going on. Of course I've never done it so if someone knows how to do that.
Pros

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Temporarily forward port 3389 to that comp then send the login/password to Linuxpup and tell him to get it working :)

Return to “Neversummer3.5 East”