Tougher areas

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
lougha_ns3
Newbie Helper

Post by lougha_ns3 »

LOL :lol:

Issy, I think you've got a decent idea. While 40 toons might be a bit extreme, I love the idea of an experience that would require a set of skills to accomplish the task. A few 100DC locks on chests or doors... a check on turning undead... I don't know... I guess it sounds like some great ideas for NS 5 :P

But I do <3 the idea. it might get the game closer to a PnP experience.

Sohl_ns3
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Sohl_ns3 »

*waits for Loofas head to explode due to extremelly high blood pressure* :lol:
The Chosen

opie crimeria_ns3
Noob

Post by opie crimeria_ns3 »

opie crimeria wrote:
One idea I had is to have unique weapons that require quite a bit of work to get.

Like dragonstone?

Yea, like dragonstone, but make the weapons unique. To reuse my example, Thor's hammer and belt for a warhammer. Like the Dragonstone quest, the toon would have to get several items, maybe fulfil a quest or two and have the item crafted. It woud be a variation of a triton, but class limited. Just a thought.

DM Xero_ns3
Forum Moderator

Post by DM Xero_ns3 »

I'm not talking about 3-5 toons, i'm talking 15-20 toons fully prepp'ed and ready for battle.

Problem is, once you get big parties it starts to lag the server noticably. Ever done DWP with 10 people? It gets ugly... (In fact, it's probably harder than doing it with 4 simply because of the lag - lol)
If I can tranq out just one freak on stilts, I know I've done my job. - Chief Wiggum

Fingis_ns3
Noob

Post by Fingis_ns3 »

Ok a few people have got there thinking caps on.

Grim, it needn't detract from NS5 cause we know so few details there cant be any over-developed plans laid, at least i hope not.

Xero, if it adds to th elag think of that as an extra layer of challenge :)

Yes i am talking about a WoW style raid, why because I have on loads of them and know how much they suck, drama, ninja looting, players going afk. But ..... they have the potential to be a great event. Given the players that I have had the priveledge to play with, I think we could rise to that challenge, ok we're gonna wipe the first dozen or so times but so what ? We're gonna learn, improvise and eventually best that challenge.

And surely a shared experience is what it is all about.

Ok, I admit I'm on my hobby horse here, but it's not often I get on, when I do it's because i think it's important.

I have experienced the above, and believe that, transposed to the NS realm, it could provide a new, challenging, and rewarding experience for those involved.

*opens another bottle*

:) Issy

TGPO_ns3
Forum Moderator

Post by TGPO_ns3 »

Actually the planning for NS5 is coming along nicely. We have dug up alot of information and infered even more. Still awaiting alot more information before the real grunt work can begin, but there is a thumbnail sketch for design and we know a general direction we are going to head with it (i.e. story line).

We even have kept in mind that there will be expansions released later on, which means less lead time needed for us to implement them as they are released.
The Great and Powerful Oz
Do not attribute to Evil what stupidity can adequatly explain

3lric of M3lnibon3_ns3
Noob

Post by 3lric of M3lnibon3_ns3 »

XiFu got more potions! Just noticed that hes been sponging more potions and my thoughts on this are.....adding pots to XiFu doesnt increase the difficulty only the time it takes to kill him.

He is the only boss that is more difficult to get to... then to kill. Yes thats right getting the Yin scroll is alot more difficult then killing the XiFu. This seems a bit out of balance, so I suggest changing him ...maybe less damage reduction and regeneration and add a on hit quillfire to his armor and increase his ab by 5. This is a particularly nasty combo as the more damage you do to him the more you take or it will force you to wear less then idea gear to deal with him.

NOMAD_CA_ns3
Wheres the donation box?

Post by NOMAD_CA_ns3 »

I believe that they actually scaled down Xifu by means of changing his robe to less difficult version. If you have noticed the maharashis have been a lot weaker for a while.
NOMAD

Archangel West side of Hell

Barrier †HA†
Ironlord †HA†
Shadowsinger † HA †
Wicked Witch of the West

Dave blythscum_ns3
Pk Bait

Post by Dave blythscum_ns3 »

try taking on the mod with pure build toons then tell me its all too easy, i dont think the mod needs to change just the way us players try and play it, but thats just my opinion.
"stand still son and put this apple on your head, now where did i put that crossbow and blindfold?" William Tell the disastrous and short lived come back tour.

DM Celt_ns3
Looking for group

Post by DM Celt_ns3 »

1. I have completely shredded every toon I have and started fresh with nothing but pure toons. I have to admit, it is much more challenging. But, in all fairness, I have done this out of love for the game. I don't necessarily think hobbling ones-self necessarily adds more fun to the game.

2. Maha's, and light weapons were nerfed a long time ago, roughly about a year or so. BUT, heavy weapons and armor were bumped up a bit, so you may want to revisit STR-built toons.

3. Posting to this thread made me re-read it, which in turn made me laugh hysterically. 'Only took you 8 months to figure out Starfall and Twilight.'? Brother please, me and TJ were slapping Gilon around like a little girl after a week remember? We were the first ones in over on East at 12:00 midnight when it was released. lol, as for Xi Fu, well let's not go there! lol

4. ummmm what was I going to say??? Oh ya, get me another Guinness please. ;)
Sweatin' like a cheap pound of bacon.

Braticus_ns3
Forum Moderator

Post by Braticus_ns3 »

After reading the posts again I am purely amazed, the players that complain the most about a lack of challenge ALL have dragons built to solo or tag along with a friend that does. Judging by their posts and their playing style I strongly suspect that for the most part they seek better gear not more of a challenge.

There are 2 maybe 3 types of players (3rd type follows other 2 around the mod).

A. Adventuresome characters that look for a challenge search and destroy for the fight and the accomplishment, never seen with a dragon build unless just to prove they can do it and then its never played much. Might at some point build a mule but often forgets to supply it.

B. Materialistic gear driven treasure hunters often known to use dragons on a daily basis, hunts are rarely a challenge or even a fight unless going solo for that Uber gear and then the outcome is always a known victory but the challenge is the time involved. Often known to have specialized mules, some so specialized that they carry a tag "Weapons Mule" or such for eaasy identification amoung their mule heard.

C. Socially driven characters are simply here to be social and well liked, will build and fight according to their friends taste and direction, Builds and
plays according to the friends they make. Often seen following along on hunts if there is one available or just sits on the server and chats with friends.

None of these types are better or more important then the other and the Devs have done an amazing job at creating and offering what is needed for all types to enjoy the game. While each type has their idea of what would make for a better experience neither takes into account the other types. What makes for a better challenge for one group may actually handicap the others. For instance a map that would challenge the dragon builds would be impossible for a party of 5 adventuresome people to go into with the normal fighters/cleric/bard/mage combinations.

If its more challenge you want then build to offer that challenge, if its better gear you want then sorry that would just wipe out the challenge that others play for.

Just my thoughts, and yes I hate dragons but I understand why people play them and the need that they fill. Are they over powered of course they are and the mod will never be a challenge to them with out ruining the game for those that refuse to play a dragon.
Braticus

Acara_ns3
Relic Raider

Post by Acara_ns3 »

often known to use dragons

what does that mean? summon dragon or dragon shifter?
wen al great heros are sleeping invisibel creatures wil kill them , and so it will be =)

Braticus_ns3
Forum Moderator

Post by Braticus_ns3 »

Shifted
Braticus

DM ex Machina_ns3
Forum Moderator

Post by DM ex Machina_ns3 »

There's also the builders. I know that my main pleasure was thinking up new builds. Leveling/gearing them was simply an impediment. Yes, I muled, but mainly because I simply wanted to get the new idea finished as soon as possible and test it out (whereupon I usually stripped the toon and started over).

As for specialized mules--I think that also happens because some people are pack rats. I know I have multiple mules because I pretty much never sold anything, thinking "I might need this someday-or someone else will." Of course, I -do- have a mule specifically for completely useless things too (gems, eyeballs, slaad tongues, etc).
I taste of this server!

It has been remembered please that it has people for backwards of the dolls, and do not like to lose articles so that they had worked.

cuzz deep very deep inside we still have that "little noob"

dbosity_ns3
Wheres the donation box?

Post by dbosity_ns3 »

Well, from my limited understanding of the programming and scripting of this game, it seems to me that there is nothing really impressive about running around killing things with a dragon build because the dragon build is scripted to be uber. Of course, an argument can be made that any toon is scripted to be uber. However, it seems to me that there is more of a challenge to make a toon from some basic theme and finding out if you can make it viable in the many different areas in NS. Those of you who know me, know that I have never made a dragon toon and never will because I sincerely believe that dragon toons are overrated. Granted, they can be made with high ac and high ab and high hps. But those stats come about when you are shifted into dragon form. I have much more respect for those toons made from careful level planning and knowledge of the various feats and classes that work synergetically. Dragons really are one of the worst toons for parties because there is a tendancy to blunder into areas like the big clumsy galoots that they are. No concern for planning or tactics are used. Many times, the bludering dragon just wipes a whole party and the dead toons will have to sit there for 20 to 30 mins to wait for the dragon to clr the room and unshift to rez the rest of the party. In fact, I think I have been in more party wipes ( including the dragon and/or dragons ) than I have been with non dragon parties. There is no area in this game that requires a dragon to complete. In fact, I prefer runs w/o dragons in the party because they usually can be done quicker and more efficiently. AND, I'm not talking about cheating on those runs. Even if every monster along the way is killed, the run can be done faster w/o a dragon than with. Many people don't remember how a well balanced group of toons can blaze through any area. Many people don't realize that dragons can actually hinder the party as many times as it can help it. I think people have gotten so used to playing solo with a dragon that they have forgotten how to play in a well balanced party where each player has a specialized toon with a specific role in support of the party. I sincerely believe that a party consisting of a good bard, sorceror, cleric, and a couple decent tanks could out perform a party of dragons through many of the more challenging areas in the game. I applaud the pure class builders. I think they are rediscovering the spirit of what the old pen and paper games are all about, adventure, challenge, and cameraderie.

SARDEN, ET AL. GRAND ANGEL OF ‡ HA ‡

Return to “NS3.5 Ideas and Suggestions”