could we buff Summons?

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
Razarr69_ns3
Looking for group

could we buff Summons?

Post by Razarr69_ns3 »

In the solo game, one of my favorite characters was in effect, a Summoner. They were great to play and quite powerful. Of course in NS, a summoner will die quickly as summons are useful right up until you get to around level 11 or 12. Then they just go pop. :evil: Until that point, you could rely on your summons to be a very useful addition. After that, they can still be used to soak up spells as you hide behind a door, but they never seriously threaten anyone.
Anyone think having better summons would be a worthwhile? It shouldn't be too hard to change the summons, NS4 already has them buffed according to the forums (haven't tried on there yet, as I like 3.5 too much). This would add a whole new build to the server and create a bit more diversity. Then I could finally have my Cleric/Druid/Monk running around with his respawning army of pets! :twisted:

Yeti_ns3
Newbie Helper

Post by Yeti_ns3 »

Beef up summons! YEAH! this would be awesome on NS3 then Summoner builds would be so cool and would most likely kick sopme arse too!

Dr_Fangorn_ns3
Site Admin

Post by Dr_Fangorn_ns3 »

This has been considered by Pros and myself...believe me when I say that a revamp of the whole summoning system for NS3.5 would be a gigantic, time consuming task...but neither of us have ruled it out. Its definitely under consideration.

Yeti_ns3
Newbie Helper

Post by Yeti_ns3 »

woot! but if you ask me, i believe we should get everything updated first :D:D:D:D:D

Razarr69_ns3
Looking for group

Post by Razarr69_ns3 »

It could also make Blackguards more playable if their summon was worthwhile also. Using an epic feat to get a "Epic Vrock"!? Yeah, that sounds good. I don't even think that summon was worthwhile to get in the original solo campaign. This is even more true for the shadowdancer summoned shadow. Both summons are worthless additions to their class.
But since this is a good ways off, if ever, from being implemented I guess I should keep my dreams to myself :cry:

Dr_Fangorn_ns3
Site Admin

Post by Dr_Fangorn_ns3 »

Its not so far off, Razarr...We've brought in two new custom summons in the updates NS3.5 has received over the past 3 months. If our free time permits after the backlog of new ideas Pros and I are bringing into the mod, then updating the summonses would be a great thing to do. Like I said, though, revamping the whole summons system would be a gigantic undertaking.

Forge_ns3
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Forge_ns3 »

I think this is an intriguing idea. Improved summons would be awesome.... especially if it made the dragon knight or mummy dust epic spells useful again. One suggestion in that regard:

make the summon scale with the level of the caster.

A relatively low level caster (ie - 25ish) has access to these epic spells. The strength of his summon should be significantly lower than what a lvl 40 caster gets when he uses one of these epic summoning spells. I don't think it would be neccessary to make different creatures for varying levels... just make the same creature have stats that scale based on caster level. That way, a lvl 25 caster doesn't have access to an uber-summon and a lvl 40 caster will have a useful ally at his level of play as well.

Razarr69_ns3
Looking for group

Post by Razarr69_ns3 »

You know, this would probably greatly change life on NS. If summons all of a sudden become a real concern, PC and mobs alike will need to fill lots of spell slots with dismissal/banish/WordOfFaith to ensure they are not just fighting an endless supply of pets. Of course, the smart move would be to bypass the pet and attack the caster, but if that pet is nasty enough...

BTW - the updates that were mentioned, were any of those implemented on Pacific (where I roam)?

Dr_Fangorn_ns3
Site Admin

Post by Dr_Fangorn_ns3 »

LMAO

Don't start, Razarr....unfortunately, all the other servers except Pacific have the updates on them. We're still trying to track down the Pacific server op to get the updates installed. I'm one of your Pacific DM's, so believe me, I have a vested interest in getting the updates installed on our "home server."

cryodog2_ns3
Forum Moderator

Post by cryodog2_ns3 »

the other thing we have to keep into consideration is to not make the summons too extreme or we will end up with the same problem we had a while back. Players soloing bosses because summons were too uber. They must serve a purpose but only to an extent. For Mages the ideal summon in my eyes would cause a great enough destraction to cast certain spells to either buff myself or keep the enemies away long enough to dmg them. As for now they dont last long enough to do anything in the epic areas.

NS 3.5 DM

Razarr69_ns3
Looking for group

Post by Razarr69_ns3 »

Fangorn, I wasn't trying to start on the missing updates. I read the other posts bout the 'missin' server op. I just wondered if he/she 'd been found yet. Hopefully nothing too serious. I know you guys are on top of things. I too appreciated the Santa on Christmas day. It was my first Holiday online. Usually I am out of town and miss out on the Holiday happiness. Of course, if I was smart I would have logged in with every character I had and collected a ring for each toon, but I s'pose 2 is enough. They are quite useful things to have on hand, now I can open those damnedable locks!

Well, back to work for me!

Dr_Fangorn_ns3
Site Admin

Post by Dr_Fangorn_ns3 »

I know you weren't intentionally starting anything, Razarr. We all just want to play.

Return to “NS3.5 Ideas and Suggestions”