NS Gear Idea - "Observer"

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
Turnip
Noob

NS Gear Idea - "Observer"

Post by Turnip »

I was thinking about what might make for interesting gear on NSEast this morning, and I thought that something along the lines of the "UN Observer" might be amusing and fun. Naturally, in a magic realm, the observers would have the equipment to be very, very, very good... So how about "NS Observer" gear?

Who would want to use it? Presumably low-level characters who want to tag along with a higher-level group, or for folks watching a DM Event w/o getting in the way (and if you have toons that can do *that*, you have toons that can volunteer to help out with a DM Event).

Helm of the Observer
o Pale Blue (of course). Low blue light.
o True Seeing
o Darkvision
o Immunity to Mind Affecting Spells, Confusion, Petrification, Stoning
o Charm Person 3x/day
o +25 Move Silently
o 20% Magical Damage Immunity
o DR 30/-
o INT bonus cap 3
o WIS bonus cap 3
o -20 AB (observers are pacifists) (stacks)
o On hit (giving), 50% chance stun self (enforce that pacifism!)
o +10 AC
o On hit (receiving), 30% chance Greater Sanctuary

Gauntlets of the Observer
o White, casting a low white light
o Charm Animal 3x/day
o 20% Physical Damage Immunity
o +30 Discipline
o +10 Parry
o Deflect Arrows
o Spell Resistance 30
o DEX bonus cap 3
o CHA bonus cap 3
o Can't wield a weapon
o -20 AB (observers are pacificts) (stacks)
o On hit (giving), cast harm on self w/o save (enforce that pacifism!)
o +10 AC
o On hit (receiving), 30% chance Improved Invisiblity

Armor of the Observer
o (Not sure there is a 'standard color'... got a preference?)
o +30 Hide
o +10 Discipline
o +10 Parry
o Barkskin 3x/day
o Expertise & Improved Expertise
o CON bonus cap 3
o STR bonus cap 3
o On hit (giving), 50% chance of being confused (enforce that pacifism!)
o +10 AC
o On hit (receiving), 30% chance Monstrous Regeneration

Shield of the Observer
o Black
o +20 Hide
o +10 Discipline
o +10 Parry
o Charm Monster 3x/day
o Improved Parry
o Immunity to Knockdown
o Piercing Resist 40/-
o Bludgeoning Resist 50/-
o Slashing Resist 30/-
o -20 Disable Trap
o -20 Set Trap
o On hit (giving), 50% attacker suffers effect of 'fear' (enforce that pacifism!)
o +10 AC
o On hit (receiving), Bigby's Interposing Hand (on the attacker)

And, since this threatens to create an uber-tank, we'd presumably want the wearer to 'blink' randomly (so they can't set themselves up to tank), or to teleport away from combat when hit.

So that's the initial version. Is this amusing enough to be refined? Is it even possible?
-Turnip

EJ71
Noob

Re: NS Gear Idea - "Observer"

Post by EJ71 »

A few random thoughts.

So would these pieces be worn as set or could they be worn individually? How would they be obtained? Would they be transferable?

All of those on hit properties firing at the same time, in addition to a "blink" script, multiplied by additional players with the same effects, sounds like a recipe for major lag IMO; especially if a DM is running an event. Never mind there are items and class abilities that grant immunity to the the on hit properties mentioned.

I can even think of some builds that could greatly benefit from having the ability to randomly blink around; as well as some builds that would not be hindered, by the gear's other restrictive properties.

Not bad ideas, but IMO, there are many flaws in the concept, as is, just waiting to be exploited.

Bargeld
PKer

Post by Bargeld »

from a NWN engine standpoint, equipped items that have lighting properties on a stealthed toon incur a spot bonus to toons attempting to detect them (these are the SPOT modifiers):

+5 DC at night if the spotter does not have a light (or darkvision).
-10 DC at night if the target has a light on them.
Death Dealers ::DD::
Laufer - Gemetzel - Force - Little Fist - Egil - Torture - Hatshepsu - Nemesis - Hierophant - Supernaut - Flesh Hound - Insurrection - Antithesis - Dead of Winter - Volcanus 2000

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

ns3.5 has bio true seeing....hide/ms builds are worthless.
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

Turnip
Noob

Post by Turnip »

EJ71 wrote:A few random thoughts.

So would these pieces be worn as set or could they be worn individually? How would they be obtained? Would they be transferable?
I think I'm thinking of 'em as a set. My initial thoughts would be that they'd be DM-granted and non-transferrable, to see if folks would like 'observer status' or if the concept would fall flat. Plus, if it's too unbalancing, there wouldn't be 40th level players out there farming the gear before the decision was made to restrict access.
EJ71 wrote: All of those on hit properties firing at the same time, in addition to a "blink" script, multiplied by additional players with the same effects, sounds like a recipe for major lag IMO; especially if a DM is running an event.
Is a "blink" script even possible? And would it really be that much of a strain on the server?

To-hit and on-hit effects don't seem to be unusual on the server.
EJ71 wrote: Never mind there are items and class abilities that grant immunity to the the on hit properties mentioned.
Would making it a set and expanding it to more items (and thus eliminating additional items) help with that?
EJ71 wrote: I can even think of some builds that could greatly benefit from having the ability to randomly blink around; as well as some builds that would not be hindered, by the gear's other restrictive properties.
Thus the huge negatives to hit and capping of attribute bonuses. I'm not sure that would necessarily impair some spellcasters, though. How *does* one cripple spellcasting?

My goal was to have someone who could watch just about anything without getting killed, and without inadvertently providing gear to turn a rogue into an ubertank. Yes, it's freakily overpowered, but hopefully in an amusing, not munchkinish, way.
EJ71 wrote: Not bad ideas, but IMO, there are many flaws in the concept, as is, just waiting to be exploited.
Well, yes... and I expected my initial idea/implementation to get shot down. But someone's got to float the initial concept, just to get the discussion going. It seemed better than "I think we should have a set of observer gear. Why don't ya'll do all the work and devise one for me?"
-Turnip

Turnip
Noob

Post by Turnip »

Amoenotep wrote:ns3.5 has bio true seeing....hide/ms builds are worthless.
So what's the solution to "don't notice me"?

Greater Sanctuary?
-Turnip

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

gear redo on item properties and how they interact with builds/mobs....but that would require alot of dev work.

you can use GS, but casting off an item wouldn't be worth really using that much.
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

Turnip
Noob

Post by Turnip »

Amoenotep wrote: you can use GS, but casting off an item wouldn't be worth really using that much.
I thought items could have the level at which they cast set.

And does "Hide in Plain Sight" work on NS 3.5?
-Turnip

Nyeleni
Relic Raider

Post by Nyeleni »

Amoenotep wrote:ns3.5 has bio true seeing....hide/ms builds are worthless.
As said, hips doesnt work because of that. It might work in lower lvl areas, but later its absolutely obsolete.
Aiya Mielikki! CELEB ALCONTARI CUYO ANANN!

For the Glory of Torm! Clericus Liberatus Anno Dominis - Gloria Triadis!

EJ71
Noob

Post by EJ71 »

As stated, stealth is basically useless in much of the mod; and GS is unreliable as well. The only way of being undetectable is to log in as a DM.

If the main goal is to provide a means for players to remain unhurt/uneffected, then a much easier solution, that would'nt require any additional modifications, would just be for the DM to make the PC('s) invincible through the DM console. Easy enough for a DM to cast GS and Imp. Invis. for times when a little anonymity is required.

Dr_Fangorn
Developer

Post by Dr_Fangorn »

An Observer set is an interesting idea, but one that I could see being abused too easily.

What Pros and I have mulled over for a long time is whether a massive overhaul and "depowering" of equipment and monsters would be worth the sheer amount of time and effort required. NS 3.5 is an ubergear server - that's part of it's charm. At lower levels (ie. under level 20), things such as darkvision, true seeing, and stealth are useful skills to use in some areas of the module. Unfortunately, once one gets into the higher levels of play and monster areas, these skills become redundant due to the sheer power of the creatures. Stealth players suffer, thanks to the limited benefit of sneak attack at high levels.
----------
DM Fang
Co-Lead, NS 5
Developer, NS 3.5
Server Op, NS 3.5 North

Turnip
Noob

Post by Turnip »

Dr_Fangorn wrote:An Observer set is an interesting idea, but one that I could see being abused too easily.
Fair 'nuff. :)

I would be interested in your musings about the ways in which it could be abused. I might learn something.
Dr_Fangorn wrote: What Pros and I have mulled over for a long time is whether a massive overhaul and "depowering" of equipment and monsters would be worth the sheer amount of time and effort required. NS 3.5 is an ubergear server - that's part of its charm.
Very much so. (The other major part being the community.)

I was trying to think of ways to add variety to the ubergear, as now, most folks end up all wearing the same gear at high levels, with minor variations.
Dr_Fangorn wrote: At lower levels (ie. under level 20), things such as darkvision, true seeing, and stealth are useful skills to use in some areas of the module. Unfortunately, once one gets into the higher levels of play and monster areas, these skills become redundant due to the sheer power of the creatures. Stealth players suffer, thanks to the limited benefit of sneak attack at high levels.
Yah, my first toon was a Fighter/Thief, with a lot of hide & move silently. I figured he could sneak where he couldn't fight, but that didn't work out so well in the later areas. He mostly died a lot.
-Turnip

Return to “NS3.5 Ideas and Suggestions”