Gary Gygax

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
dave blythscum
Noob

Gary Gygax

Post by dave blythscum »

For those who don't know Mr Gary Gygax failed his final saving throw a short time ago and left this moral coil. I feel that as the father of D&D ,and by proxy NWN, we as gamers ~(Paper or Electronic) owe a great deal to the man who started it all. it would be fitting if we could have somthing to remeber him by in game. With the 1.69 update now out, and hopefully some time in the future an update of NS to follow, I put forward the suggestion that an area, or quest, or even just an npc, could be added to the next up-date in honnor of the late Mr Gygax. I know that during my formative years with out D&D to occupy my young mind I might have turned out to be a different Character (No pune intended), heres an article from the wire regarding his death.

"Gary Gygax, co-creator of the incredibly influential Dungeons & Dragons role-playing games, died yesterday at his home in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin at age 69.

Almost everyone who's ever played an RPG, be it with dice, a mouse, or a controller, owes a debt of gratitude to Gygax, who helped create many of the conventions we now take for granted, such as leveling up, stat-boosting gear, and, of course, the Dungeon Master.

Gygax created the original D&D in 1974 with Dave Arneson as a product of Tactical Studies Rules, which later became TSR. The popularity of the pen-and-paper version of D&D has waxed and waned over the years, but its status as a pillar of the gaming community has never wavered.

Honor Gygax's memory however you feel is appropriate. Roll for initiative. Attack the darkness. As for me, I'll be watching some episodes of the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon series. Yes, of course it's crap, but I love it, just the same. I never could decide which I wanted more, though, Sheila's cloak or Hank's bow."

Gary Gygax, 'Father of D&D', Dies at 69 [Wired]
Last edited by dave blythscum on Tue May 13, 2008 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a NOOB i am a free man............

priestofbast
Looking for group

Re: Gary Gygax

Post by priestofbast »

sniffle

Here's lifting a glass of dwarven ale to the memory of Gary Gygax.

He made my life more interesting and broadened my friendships by the people I met playing his game.

*sets of fireworks and lights a candle to mark the passage of one of the Great Ones.*

catfoot

cely
PKer

Post by cely »

That's an excellent idea. I'm going to start thinking of something special that I can add to NS5 in honor of Mr. Gygax.
cely
NS4 Server Admin
NS5 Developer (retired)

dave blythscum
Noob

Post by dave blythscum »

Im looking forward to see what you come up with (no pressure at all on this one), something for ns 3.5 would be great too.
I am not a NOOB i am a free man............

Turnip
Noob

Post by Turnip »

dave blythscum wrote:For those who don't know Mr Gary Gygax failed his final saving throw a short time ago and left this moral coil.
I think this is an awesome idea, and I don't think anything's been done with this on NS 3.5.

How about replacing (or in addition to) the starting character area's sign, we have an NPC for Mr. Gary Gygax that conveys that information.

If you talk to him *again*, he'll give you a slim pamphlet extolling the wonders of role-playing.

And then in the character-destruction area, have a ghostly Mr. Gygax there to say goodbye, with a conversation option "tell me about yourself", where he'll tell the player some pertinent facts about role-playing, D&D, his life & death, etc.
-Turnip

Nyeleni
Relic Raider

Post by Nyeleni »

Don't forget Dave Arneson if you add something about GG :). Arneson is as much to thank as GG for coming up with D&D.
Aiya Mielikki! CELEB ALCONTARI CUYO ANANN!

For the Glory of Torm! Clericus Liberatus Anno Dominis - Gloria Triadis!

Turnip
Noob

Post by Turnip »

Nyeleni wrote:Don't forget Dave Arneson if you add something about GG :). Arneson is as much to thank as GG for coming up with D&D.
Good point.

One for the start, the other for the end, then. :)
-Turnip

Return to “NS3.5 Ideas and Suggestions”