touch AB - harm spell

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
Nicho_ns3
Noob

touch AB - harm spell

Post by Nicho_ns3 »

I was gooffing around with other players and I have notice that althought my character has weapon finesse, my strenght bonus is used to calculate my touch ab when casting harm... is that normal? I was certain that dex would be taking into since I have weapon finesse and touch attacks are basically an unarmed attack... is that yet another Bioware screw up or a module specific modification to the spell harm? I have read in Bioware's patch 1.62 description, that ranged touch attack were taking Zen archery into account to calculate the ab, so I really dont see why weapon finesse wouldn't be taken into account for melee touch attack..

Forge_ns3
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Forge_ns3 »

This is something that several of us cleric fans have discussed amonst ourselves. I'm not sure if it is module specific or not... Pros might could answer that. I would also like to see it fixed.

Nicho_ns3
Noob

Post by Nicho_ns3 »

i have just tested harm in Zing's dojo, and it uses strenght for touch ab too... that sucks... can it be fixed for the server?

DrakhanValane_ns3
Arrogant Snob

Post by DrakhanValane_ns3 »

What weapon are you using when casting harm?
"Some people might say love merely has a learning disorder, but no. Love is just stupid. After all, millions of angst-ridden teen poems can't possibly be wrong." -- R.K.Milholland

All Hail the Mighty Pettsson!

"So cheap and juicy!"

Nicho_ns3
Noob

Post by Nicho_ns3 »

kukris, I have tried it unarmed too and no changes.

Forge_ns3
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Forge_ns3 »

I've tried it while using a rapier... again, STR instead of DEX even though I have Weapon Finesse

Blaskor_ns3
Pk Bait

Post by Blaskor_ns3 »

According to the 3e Player's Handbook, a 'touch' with a spell is considered an 'armed' attack, not an unarmed attack. If they made it an unarmed attack, it would invoke an Attack of Opportunity(since most casters don't have improved unarmed strike), which it does not. Therefore, it must consider it an armed attack, with a non-finesse weapon. It does ignore Natural AC bonus, Armor, and Shield, so its probably good the way they have it.

When you test this, you will see an Attack of Opportunity happen, but only if you don't have imp combat casting cause you are still casting a spell in melee.
Blaskor

SecreT_AlieN_ns3
Looking for group

Post by SecreT_AlieN_ns3 »

If you take Weapon Focus->Unarmed, you will see your Touch AB go up. The same goes for Epic Weapon Focus->Unarmed. When I was testing, that didn't seem to be the case with other Weapon Focusi, but it was late and I was tired, so who knows?

To me, it seems like an unarmed, armed attack, if that makes any sense at all...
Charon * [TC] (MidWest)

DrakhanValane_ns3
Arrogant Snob

SecreT_AlieN wrote:If you take Weapon Focus->Unarmed, you will see your Touch AB go up. The same goes for Epic Weapon Focus->Unarmed. When I was testing, that didn't seem to be the case with other Weapon Focusi, but it was late and I was tired, so who knows?

To me, it seems like an unarmed, armed attack, if that makes any sense at all...

Foci. And Monks are considered armed with their unarmed strikes as well.
"Some people might say love merely has a learning disorder, but no. Love is just stupid. After all, millions of angst-ridden teen poems can't possibly be wrong." -- R.K.Milholland

"So cheap and juicy!"

SecreT_AlieN_ns3
Looking for group

Post by SecreT_AlieN_ns3 »

I know that focusi isn't a real word D...it was just a lame attempt at some humor...:)
Charon * [TC] (MidWest)

DrakhanValane_ns3
Arrogant Snob

Don't make fun of the handicapped!

"So cheap and juicy!"

Return to “NS3.5 Ideas and Suggestions”