Change In XP Calculations with Update?

User-to-User support and questions to the NS3.5 Developers and DM team.
Billiard
Newbie Helper

Change In XP Calculations with Update?

Post by Billiard »

I might be imagining this, but before the update I was leveling my Cleric, single class, in HoD, Hall of the Lich King and getting really good experience until 30-31. Now I am leveling a tri-Class toon in the same area, and XP at 22-24 seems really, really low. Was there a change in XP calculations for multi-classing?

SkotG
Looking for group

Re: Change In XP Calculations with Update?

Post by SkotG »

* removed because i can't read* :oops:
Clan d'Aarn
ImageImageImage

DM Sun Tzu
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Sun Tzu »

There has been no changes in xp calculation that I am aware of.

Which server was this on?
DM Sun Tzu

"to subjugate the enemy's army without doing battle is the highest of excellence."

Billiard
Newbie Helper

Post by Billiard »

This is on East. But it may be that its just the difference between leveling a Cleric and a different class and not actually a difference in XP values. Since they are different levels now I cannot compare directly either. It just seems like I was getting less XP in Enchanted Forest, Undersea City, and HoD than I had been in the past at comparable levels. I'll just keep an eye on it as I get higher level.

EJ71
Noob

Post by EJ71 »

I have a single class, and a couple of multiclass toons, on North and the XP seems to be the same now as it was before the recent update. The H.O.D areas are some of my favorite for lvl'ing during the 20's as well.

Can't say for sure, but it may be due to multiclass.

If a multiclass character's classes are not nearly the same level, then the character suffers a multiclass penalty of -20% XP for each class that is not within 1 level of his most experienced class. These penalties apply from the moment the character adds a class or raises a class's level too high. For instance, a 4th-level Wizard/3rd-level Rogue gets no penalty, but if that character raises his Wizard level to 5th, then he'd receive the -20% penalty from that point on until his levels were nearly even again. The penalty is -40% if all three levels are uneven, for instance, a 5th-level Wizard/3rd-level Rogue/1st-level Fighter.

A Dwarf 7th-level Fighter/2nd-level Cleric suffers no penalty, nor does he when he adds 1st-level Rogue to his classes since his Cleric and Rogue classes are only 1 level apart, and Fighter is a favored class for Dwarves.
A Human or Half-Elf's highest-level class is always considered his or her favored class for purposes of the multiclass penalty.

Human is not always the best choice to avoid an XP penalty: For example, a Human 2nd-level Fighter/8th-level Wizard/8th-level Rogue would suffer a -20% XP-penalty, a Dwarf with the same class combination would not. Humans and Half-Elves can never suffer a -40% penalty.

Because spells such as Shapechange and Polymorph Self and a Shifter's abilities change the core race of a character, Human or Half-Elf multiclassing freedom and Favoured Class bonuses are lost when a character uses these abilities to become another race of creature. In that case, penalties are applied as if the character were naturally of the race of the shape taken.

Prestige classes are exempt from the multiclass XP rule and do not count against the character.

Hope that helps.

Dr_Fangorn
Developer

Post by Dr_Fangorn »

Billiard - no planned changes were made to the Undead Warriors or Knights regarding their CR's, nor were any changes to the xp modelling made that are NS-specific. A three class multiclass might be your explanation? Check in with Sun Tzu, I'll be back from California at the end of next week and can take a look at the module then.
----------
DM Fang
Co-Lead, NS 5
Developer, NS 3.5
Server Op, NS 3.5 North

Billiard
Newbie Helper

Post by Billiard »

Alright so I guess its a multi-classing issue. I honestly didn't think there was a penalty for that on NS, but I normally don't build the way I did for this one in order to get max unarmed attacks.

Dr_Fangorn
Developer

Post by Dr_Fangorn »

Mulitclass penalties are in full effect - I have an elven monk/wizzy/PM that was a [censored] to level...and that one was only a 20% MC penalty...
----------
DM Fang
Co-Lead, NS 5
Developer, NS 3.5
Server Op, NS 3.5 North

DM Sun Tzu
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Sun Tzu »

I'll be on tonight.

But I suspect that the multiclass penalty is the cuplrit. I normally ignore it as a lot of my toons have had that penalty. However I did notice that the pure cleric( well, to lvl 39 anyway) leveled very fast in HoD, much faster than I expected.
DM Sun Tzu

"to subjugate the enemy's army without doing battle is the highest of excellence."

Return to “Help and Support”