Unable to connect to the server

User-to-User support and questions to the NS3.5 Developers and DM team.
Gtu_ns3
Noob

Unable to connect to the server

Post by Gtu_ns3 »

I can't connect to the server... I haven't changed anything since I was connected the other day, and I have doubled checked that my firewall etc. isn't blocking the game, and have also tried disabling the firewall and antivirus.

When I try to connect I get this message;

"Connection to the server has failed.
Connection Error: Your player name has been refused by the server."

If I attempt to create a new account I get this message;

"Error: Player Profile creation falied."

Has anyone esle had this problem before and know what to do?

Pros_ns3
Site Admin

Post by Pros_ns3 »

Sounds like a blocker of some sort, not sure what kind though. If you have a router it might be a port thing.

Gtu_ns3
Noob

Post by Gtu_ns3 »

I haven't changed anything though... I have never seen this problem and have been playing for over 2 years. I'll have a go at rebooting cable modem and router... is it possible that my ISP has changed something?

Nanuk_ns3
Noob

Post by Nanuk_ns3 »

I have the exact same problem when I try to connect to West. At first I thought I had been banned, but I'm pretty sure I haven't done anything that could have caused that, at least I hope not :) If any of you dm's or op's from West can reassure me that'd be great ;)
It's good to see someone else with the same prob, makes me think it might be a weird technical glitch somewhere... now to find out where...
Any help greatly appreciated...

Cheers, and a merry Xmas from New Zealand.

Nanuk :)
Currently playing on West server,
Toon names all begin with Nanuk.

Gtu_ns3
Noob

Post by Gtu_ns3 »

Hmm... I am also in New Zealand... Wgtn, on Paradise cable...

I have also noticed a few people have posted on the Bioware forums with this problem... I checked everything and I am fairly certain that there is nothing I can change that can fix this. Must be either Gamespy or some changes that the ISP has made... what is your ISP Nanuk?

Gtu_ns3
Noob

Post by Gtu_ns3 »

I can get in now... nothing changed since yesterday so I suspect it was a Bioware issue.

Nanuk, can you get in now?

Nanuk_ns3
Noob

Post by Nanuk_ns3 »

I was finally able to connect this morning (7:00am 27th Dec local time) so took the opportunity to get presents for all my toons. I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to run through the North Pole though, although I'll try to find time after work today.
It's weird, I dunno what the issue was with connecting. I could log in to NS North good as gold the whole time, but for some reason West kept rejecting me. Seems to be ok now though, fingers crossed.
Merry Christmas all.
Cheers,
Nanuk.

Nanuk_ns3
Noob

Post by Nanuk_ns3 »

Hmm, maybe I spoke too soon. I am back to not being able to log in. Sadly the problem seems to have spread to the other NS servers as well now, haven't tried any others. How did you fix your login GTU? I'd love some advice and help right about now :)

Cheers,
Nanuk.

DM Mistress-X_ns3
Forum Moderator

Post by DM Mistress-X_ns3 »

Wish I new what the problem was and could help you out. You are not banned from the west server. Hope you all can find out what it is.

DM ex Machina_ns3
Forum Moderator

Post by DM ex Machina_ns3 »

we need more detailed information on what happens when you try to log. what's the server message, etc.
I taste of this server!

It has been remembered please that it has people for backwards of the dolls, and do not like to lose articles so that they had worked.

cuzz deep very deep inside we still have that "little noob"

Gtu_ns3
Noob

Post by Gtu_ns3 »

I was able to log in fine, then went away for a holiday... still able to log in ok now (only attempting West)... I didn't change anything, it just started working the same way as it stopped working earlier.

The only availble messages I received are the ones I posted originally, along with a random CD Key not authorized message in place of the player name refused message (both messages being bogus).

This doesn't appear to be an issue with the server or with the client PC, so it is probably somewhere in the ether (ISP or GameSpy related). All of the available help I could find pointed towards blocked ports... I checked everything while I had the problem and couldn't see anything that could of been blocking (so I didn't change anything).

I'm not sure there is anything you can do except wait.. you could try contacting your ISP (but it's always painful to be on hold long enough to hear epic versions of Meatloaf songs), but judging by the forums there isn't much in the way of support from Bioware/Gamespy on this issue.

Nanuk_ns3
Noob

Post by Nanuk_ns3 »

Just thought I'd add a little update...

It appears that my connection issues have disappeared now. I have no problems connecting to West. Since I hadn't changed anything on my PC it seems likely (as Gtu suggested) that the issue was at Gamespy or at ISP level.

Thanks Mistress X for assuring me that I wasn't blocked or banned. As I said, I felt this was pretty unlikely, but it never hurts to check all possible causes :)

And Machina, just to let you know, although it's probably of little use now, I was receiving the same error messages that Gtu quoted in his first post in this thread. I didn't attempt to create a new account so didn't get the "player profile failed" message, but after unsuccessfully trying to log on and receiving the "player name refused by server" message I tried a 2nd time I got the "CD key not authorised" message. I have a genuine version of the game, so no problems with my CD key.

I hope in hindsight that this helps in some small way. Luckily I managed to log on before the Nth Pole was wiped, and got to pay a visit to Santa. Sadly he gave me a sound thrashing, but I did solo my way up to him, and picked up a nice cloak in the process, so all was not lost.

Anyways, Happy New Year to all, and I hope to see you Westies around some time.
Cheers,
Nanuk :)

Gtu_ns3
Noob

Post by Gtu_ns3 »

Has just started happening to me again. I have been able to connect fine lately, and was playing just a couple hours ago... now I am unable to connect, same messages (player name refused / CD key not authorized).

Return to “Help and Support”