The first few days (or Tep got us wiped again!)

This is the forum to discuss the game as a whole.
Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

The first few days (or Tep got us wiped again!)

Post by Lokey »

I didn't build the best char for soloing. If I knew I'd be doing so much alone, yah, I'd have done something else. Note: I generally refuse to do things for npcs. They want something from somewhere, they can go get it themselves. Yes, I know mith shield is arguably the best in general, and str ring is omigod amazing.

Aginor: Cler 38/Ranger 1 (at 21--can pick a spell feat instead of favored enemy and it opens up lots of gear)/Monk 1 (at 40). 18 wis, some str, dex, con, dump rest. Magic/Plant domains, feats are silent, empower, max, spell pen tree, evo focus tree, gr wis 10, ball, ruin.

Started playing with Tep's sorc (MysticSoul)...and arcane can slaughter tons and tons of things. Where other people were decided what we did and we got crunched a few times getting boots for both of us. Vagastorm built a bard, we got boots for him. Now we're level 2 and dangerous, to the graveyard. Ding ding. Old town north now that we both have direct damage spells. Crunched the crypt when we were both 6 or 7 wearing mundane stuff. It hurt, took a few tries. Yay, we have a high level mummy to take hits for us, to mirk. Ding ding ding.

We have spells, we nuke the avenger and head to crypt. Sneak past the scary stuff (we killed some anyway). Gustav's bodyguards have really good drops that are great for ages. Helms all around, armor for me (I wore that forever). I logged in later and messed with drow with 10sec86 and Lilith (ammy is really nice for a while). We kill Mad Hermit and go to drag realm, Panzar killed Kultach for us. That was Sunday night iirc, couldn't play much that day.

Little hazy on the teens. Tep and I did crypt. Lich King x 2 didn't get us shields or robes (I had the worst luck on drops). At least it was lots of cash and xp. Tep killed cel lord (he was 15ish, I was higher) a few times. I hightail it to cave to change alignment :)

Tep started a new char, so solo now. Obviously cler loves HoD, great xp for tons of levels, tons of cash. Hit sunken for equip (6 times killing highlord/minister for a better helm). Slunk to LP to kill imps for a few levels (any caster can do, easier for divine). Killed the not render/spider bosses. Carried Jotun's luggage to EC, got staff. Much running from things and saying omigod that hurts.

Ran through giants until I had belt/shield/cloak. Did EC run to graveyard twice, 40.

CynfearEvo sorc, will take a pali and a monk, pretty cookie cutter, didn't farm items for. Took silent spell, so 8 cold rays (17 cha start). Talk to flame, kill fire thing, have a staff. Killed a bandit while looking for shadow, have haste. Yah, I know, but essence gear can be done in 5 minutes and it's fine forever. To graveyard til 4. To giants (clear map is a level and a half for a while). To mirk, run and gun phantoms (melf's). Level 11 - to crypt but stopped there since you need to take a number these days.

Running some other characters. Started a from scratch monk, that's level 5 (killing shadow was annoying, tough to kite him since he's fast). Killed Urgrock, that took a while and came close to dying. We'll see how that goes, but see it getting a little annoying at certain points. My druid/bard isn't from scratch, and probably not a good dragon shape build to make now, but it's fun when all the pieces come together at 39 and can walk to EC alone in sunken gear :)
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Re: The first few days (or Tep got us wiped again!)

Post by Amoenotep »

the sorc with a cleric in front killed everything that much harder. Big bosses that decided to put up a fight got smacked down with PWK....Kutty went down so hard it took him twice the time to respawn!
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

Nyeleni
Relic Raider

Post by Nyeleni »

Well after so much time, I thought I'd give it a shot again. I named her Kir-ga in honour of my first char on NS2 or NS3, "Kirg" a dwarf. And in honour of Chela (BoC) a ranger.
Although gear-wise Im pretty underwhelming, I have great fun exploring all the new additions. It's really mind boggling.
Though after seeing all the nice stuff for halflings, gnomes, elfs and dwarfs only, I wonder where the human only stuff is ;).
Aiya Mielikki! CELEB ALCONTARI CUYO ANANN!

For the Glory of Torm! Clericus Liberatus Anno Dominis - Gloria Triadis!

Billiard
Newbie Helper

Post by Billiard »

Have two finished toons (except gear of course). Pally/WM/DD and a Cleric with Trickery/Plant Domain. Didn't know the Ranger trick at 21 but will do that for next build. Did Mith and Str quests, also was able to do G1 with Koil a couple of times. Going to make a Bard and Sorc next probably. Getting started was kind of slow but was gifted undead armour and soulsteal scimitar and that made a huge difference.

One key thing I notice is that for a first toon its best to make sure you are not too gear dependent!

DM Sun Tzu
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Sun Tzu »

Not being gear dependent is important for a first toon.

Virtually all of my toons started with just one or two items to boost AC and whatever happened to be available in the DB. Often the first weapon is a bandits dagger, which is good for 5-6 levels at least.

An AC of 16-18 is good for starting. By the time some of the starter quests are finished you will have equipment that can take you into the mid teens level.
DM Sun Tzu

"to subjugate the enemy's army without doing battle is the highest of excellence."

10sec86
Noob

Post by 10sec86 »

I was only about 2 months on the server before the big crash and most of my toons at that time were still learning the server. Read that as - they weren't very good and my party members needed many a res if I were tagging along.

After the crash I made Kaitlyn - a f/wm/sd that has done 100x better than anything I built before. I just kept asking people questions, taking notes, asking again, etc....and everyone has been very cool about helping with tips and whatnot.

I've partied with a lot of members on the server - a lot of successful runs mixed in with some time being spent in Temple of Helm.

My stable of toons consists of:

Kaitlyn - f/wm/sd
Tig - f/wm/dd
Gummo - cleric/monk
Brianna - sorc
Neville - aa
Jing - monk/wm/sd

Dwarven stronghold area is by far my favorite on the server, Gnolls area is really cool as well. I can't explore much in the EC solo so I tend to stay around NS doing things. Will help get Phoenix, EC run, etc.....but unless i'm with BP, Billiard, Gen, Vex, etc...I stick to NS :mrgreen:

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

Have you ever tried extreme phoenix wrestling? I swear that girl has more hands than she knows what to do with. I have a green helmet and Ghostly has a red...do you see waldo?

Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

VagaStorm
Developer

Post by VagaStorm »

Amoenotep wrote:Have you ever tried extreme phoenix wrestling? I swear that girl has more hands than she knows what to do with. I have a green helmet and Ghostly has a red...do you see waldo?

With the way you cheese out toons, I expect you beat em down.... without using heals :P
Best Regards
VagaStorm

Why would I want to count 12 hours twice? I’m perfectly capable of counting to 24, and while we’re at it, can someone go shoot named time zones. GMT+x is all we need!

Amoenotep wrote:if you die to harper that just means your build sucks.

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

Pfft, damage shield toon, can't see the 0s over his head, but they're there.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

Return to “Neversummer 3.5 General Discussion”