Mage Tower in DWP

This is the forum to discuss the game as a whole.
Hard Aers_ns3
Noob

Mage Tower in DWP

Post by Hard Aers_ns3 »

I'am not all together sure how new this area is but it's something I didnt see prior to my vacation of NS. The area though still seems to be in dire need of some balance. The horde of creatures in the first room are immune to most forms of magic (what kind of mage test is it where you cant use magic?).

I've had the opportunity so far to try the first room with a few different allies, but it seems that the number of high level mages on NS East isnt what it used to be so forming larger parties than 2 is something of a problem.

The melee damage that the vortex birds dish out is insane in the extreme considering that mages are the only ones able to make it inside this place. Perhaps either decrease their damage or decreasing the number of them that spawn at one time?

As to any tweaks beyond the first area I cant really comment yet as I've been unable to make it beyond there either solo or with other mages to help.

DM ex Machina_ns3
Forum Moderator

Post by DM ex Machina_ns3 »

Hmm. My 38 wiz 1 ftr 1 rogue and a 38 sorc 1 pally 1 monk didn't have any problems.

Hard Aers_ns3
Noob

Post by Hard Aers_ns3 »

I've seen two mages of the same build not last 60 seconds in the tower. (38 mage, 1 pal, 1 monk). One could be attributed to gear I suppose, the other was in full NS gear. He outlasted me by about 10 seconds or so.

jwiwchar_ns3
Newbie Helper

Post by jwiwchar_ns3 »

Hmm - I haven't had any trouble with the lower levels when I've gone in there. Only thing that's been an issue is trying to survive a greater ruin from the boss with only 490 hp :(
"we sit in a limbo where the decent man has a variety of things to vote against, but nothing to vote for"
- Hunter S. Thompson

Bob_ns3
Newbie Helper

Post by Bob_ns3 »

Everything in there has a vulnerability, though it might take you a couple times through to feel them out.

Especially with the guardians, if you don't have the proper resists, a string of (un)lucky hits can lay you out no matter what.

Wizards probably have the best advantage at the Nexus Tower with a broad spell range.
The Brotherhood of Bob

WHO IS POINTY HAT?

Pointy hat make fire.
Pointy hat make fire boom.

TIP! Is pointy hat your friend? No?
Kill him first.

Hard Aers_ns3
Noob

Post by Hard Aers_ns3 »

I believe you're talking about the wrong tower Bob. At any rate a group was finally able to make it passed the first room (3 was the magic number apparently). Now that I've made my way through the whole tower with help I'd like to add a few comments.

Floor 1: Insanely difficult. Birds spawn in groups of 4 (2 are LETHAL, 4 is crazy).

Floor 2: About your average DWP difficulty. If you've been through the normal DWP run there's no great surprises for you here (or challenge for that matter, unless you count the surprise bird or two that drops in).

Floor 3: Easy doesnt even begin to cover this floor. Dont bother buffing as you're only wasting your time. The boss is a real push-over. Slap him a little and he falls over dead so that you can lay claim to 2 items. One is the Vortex Amulet, a mage specific version of the amulet of dimensions. Comparing the two ammies side by side you find that the resists and stat bonuses are less on the Vortex amulet although it attempts to make it for it by giving the mage three spell slots (7, 8 and 9). My final opinion of the amulet is that it definately is not worth the trouble of going through the first floor, stick to your ammy of dimensions which you dont need a special party in order to get. The second item I found a little more interesting, it's an imbued bullet that you can use once per day to cast shadow shield. Nice little item to have in your arsenal as it frees up that prep slot for a different spell.

Bob_ns3
Newbie Helper

Post by Bob_ns3 »

You mean there's a second tower off the DWP area?
The Brotherhood of Bob

WHO IS POINTY HAT?

Pointy hat make fire.
Pointy hat make fire boom.

TIP! Is pointy hat your friend? No?
Kill him first.

Blaskor_ns3
Pk Bait

Post by Blaskor_ns3 »

I was one of the first on Midwest to solo this tower, and I will be the first to admit that it was not easy. It took me 4 tries but I did it. Once you figure out what works, and what doesn't, it isn't so bad. I feel the amulet is totally worth it. Extra spell slots and immune to sneak attack are pretty key.
Blaskor

Anonymous_ns3

Post by Anonymous_ns3 »

i have never died in the tower IMHO its to easy i can solo it on pac with out any problems

Return to “Neversummer 3.5 General Discussion”