Question re: Enchanted Forest?

Information about fixes, tweaks and updates to NS3.5.
brash99_ns3
Noob

Question re: Enchanted Forest?

Post by brash99_ns3 »

Sorry if this is the wrong area. I used to play on Neversummer a very long time ago and so much is changed or I have forgotten. I was doing the quest series for Enchanted Forest and got to the Spectre of the Forest. He didn't drop anything or even leave a corpse (being a spectre, I guess.) So I went back to report to the Ranger who originally gave the quest (or at least starts you on it) and he did not acknowledge it as being finished. I am not sure right now if I am "done" or if something was bugged, it feels incomplete and like there is some ending to it I am missing (like a reward, grin). Could someone PM me just to let me know whether I missed anything or if it is somehow not completed yet, it just seems to end in midair (usually you get some token item or acknowledgement of some type that kind of gives the "Ta-Da! You're Done!" feeling.) I am just not sure if I need to go back and redo it all again or talk to someone else I did not talk to or ... something.

Dr_Fangorn_ns3
Site Admin

Post by Dr_Fangorn_ns3 »

Spectre's drop rate is not 100%. This can be altered if enough of the players feel it should be. I've always been of the mind that its the journey, not the destination. But I understand that prize at the end is nice too. ;)

Jabronius_ns3
Pk Bait

Post by Jabronius_ns3 »

I completed this quest recently and did receive a drop from the spectre, which I assumed completed the quest. I found it odd that the item he dropped wasn't ranger or druid related, because that's certainly the theme of the quest. He may drop more than one item, but I don't know since I haven't run through this area again.
To second what Brash said, I spoke to the Head Ranger with the spectre's item in my inventory, and his dialog didn't indicate any completion of the quest. It was exactly the same as when I spoke to him initially. Perhaps the spectre could drop some kind of token that you could cash in with the ranger to receive some sort of reward, perhaps even one of several. There are many other quests on NS that have this "get a token, pick a prize" reward system, and I think they work well.
Overall, I enjoy the renovated areas very much, and there are plenty of other goodies to snatch from the mobs in the Enchanted Forest.
Thanks again for the hard work, Fang and others.

brash99_ns3
Noob

Post by brash99_ns3 »

Thanks, I already had gone back and ran the quest a second time but no corpse from the spectre that time either, so I had shrugged it off that there was NEVER loot from him. Now that I know he can possibly drop something, I'll go camp the guy :D

I don't think the main "reward" drop needs to be 100%, however you might put some type of trash loot that drops 100% (like a coin or two or a "spectral goop") just so there is always a corpse, I think that would encourage people to realize he CAN drop something. When I got no corpse at all from either kill, I decided maybe spectres couldn't leave a lootbag or something. So it was kind of a letdown, but if there had at least been some minor thing I would have kept trying a coupe more times. I like the idea of only having a random chance as long as we can take multiple tries at him.

Jabronius_ns3
Pk Bait

Post by Jabronius_ns3 »

"Thank you, Mario! But our princess is in another castle!"

/old fart

Dr_Fangorn_ns3
Site Admin

Post by Dr_Fangorn_ns3 »

I'll look into fixing this. The Spectre drops some nice items for upper non-epic players...an item each for rangers, druids, and clerics. Like I said, its not 100% of the time. I can do some tweaking and see what I can do for the quest to improve things.

Dr_Fangorn_ns3
Site Admin

Post by Dr_Fangorn_ns3 »

Alright, an improved Enchanted Forest quest is going to be tested over the next few days, and if it works out all right will be up on East for testing in the next few days. The Neversummer Ranger Leader says more and gives you an item essential to get to the Spectre now, and the Spectre will drop something 100% of the time, including a new item.

Anonymous_ns3

Post by Anonymous_ns3 »

Cool, I am playing on East at the moment and haven't gotten around yet to going back to the Spectre, I will wait till you say it's ingame, then be happy to help test it out :)

brash99_ns3
Noob

Post by brash99_ns3 »

Forgot to login :oops:

brash99_ns3
Noob

Post by brash99_ns3 »

Another question re: the Enchanted Forest quest series -- is it intentional that the Woodland Gloves be no-give/no-trade? It's certainly not what I consider one of the "better" rare drops in the area and seems a hassle to not be able to easily destroy/giveaway, such an item. It may have been just random luck but the ranger miniboss "rare" drops seemed the best and most varied of the lot (and that's fine with me as they most match my favored character types).

Overall it is really a great series and I have been spending umpteen hours in these zones, I very much like them and recommend them -- great zone for chars in their teens especially. A very nice series.

brash99_ns3
Noob

Post by brash99_ns3 »

Also, could you consider maybe whether Strydurr needs to have his full heals limited? I've counted him doing more than 8 full heals on two different times now. He wasn't too bad on East, where my character in late teens had good gear, but on North my level 18 could barely handle him.

I think 3 or 4 full heals would still make him a challenge but maybe more doable for nontwinked characters. He does have 6 assistants and he's pretty tough guy without what appears to be almost unlimited full heals.

Dr_Fangorn_ns3
Site Admin

Post by Dr_Fangorn_ns3 »

I'm checking in on that as well. He doesn't have any heals in his inventory, he must be pounding them back in his spell scripts. I'll have a look tonight.

Texkampe_ns3
Noob

Post by Texkampe_ns3 »

brash99 wrote:Another question re: the Enchanted Forest quest series -- is it intentional that the Woodland Gloves be no-give/no-trade? It's certainly not what I consider one of the "better" rare drops in the area and seems a hassle to not be able to easily destroy/giveaway, such an item. It may have been just random luck but the ranger miniboss "rare" drops seemed the best and most varied of the lot (and that's fine with me as they most match my favored character types).

If you have a high enough level ranger or druid to use the special use, you'll see why they're no-give/no-trade.
brash99 wrote:Also, could you consider maybe whether Strydurr needs to have his full heals limited? I've counted him doing more than 8 full heals on two different times now. He wasn't too bad on East, where my character in late teens had good gear, but on North my level 18 could barely handle him.

I think 3 or 4 full heals would still make him a challenge but maybe more doable for nontwinked characters. He does have 6 assistants and he's pretty tough guy without what appears to be almost unlimited full heals.

I've seen him do as many as 10 heals, but also have killed him when he did not heal. It didn't seem to have any pattern to it other than when I took out all his helpers first, he seemed to then have less heals. I've only killed him 7 or 8 times, and that was on MidWest, so I can only give my feeling about it, rather than a documented trend. My toon on North can't get to him yet, so I have no way to compare the 2 servers.
Mario Lanza - Fighter/Bard/RDD - 40 - MidWest
Bruce Ree - Rogue/Monk/WM - 40 - MidWest
Peety - Ranger/Pally/Rogue - 40 - MidWest
Barry Manilow - Fighter/Bard/RDD - MidWest/North

Dr_Fangorn_ns3
Site Admin

Post by Dr_Fangorn_ns3 »

Strydurr has been fixed as of the 1 Feb mod update. He had 10 heals on him by mistake, instead of 1. ;)

brash99_ns3
Noob

Post by brash99_ns3 »

What's a decimal point or two among friends ;) Is 1 Feb mod update on East/North yet?

Return to “Tweaks and mod updates”