Casters losing spells after crashing

Information about fixes, tweaks and updates to NS3.5.
Anonymous_ns3

Casters losing spells after crashing

Post by Anonymous_ns3 »

I'm guesing there was a change made to this because some people were exploiting it somehow, but playing a caster is now very frustrating when your game crashes every now and then.

I don't see the logic in ruining the playability of casters for the honest players just to battle some losers using an exploit.

Do any other players find equal frustration?

Pros_ns3
Site Admin

Post by Pros_ns3 »

The only thing that happens is that on log in spells are set to discharged. I don't think thats unreasonable considering it deals with the log off to recharge your spells issue. Your game crashing sounds like the frustration part. Maybe tweak down your game's graphics a bit if you haven't already.

BTW, the change was made a while back.

Anonymous_ns3

Post by Anonymous_ns3 »

But what exactly is the "log off to recharge your spells issue"? Is it something that Bioware need to fix?

My game crashes are not normally an issue because I'm usually back in the game within 15 seconds. I used to play a Cleric a lot before the change and now I'm starting to get put off casters because of the extra resting needed. Was just wondering how other people felt about it but seems it was just me.

Pros_ns3
Site Admin

Post by Pros_ns3 »

Mages used to fire off their spells log out then right back in fully charged and fire off their spells (repeatedly) instead of running to a corner to rest.

Anonymous_ns3

Post by Anonymous_ns3 »

Is it possible for the spells to be recharged upon respawning?

DrakhanValane_ns3
Arrogant Snob

Post by DrakhanValane_ns3 »

Resting in the Temple is hard?
"Some people might say love merely has a learning disorder, but no. Love is just stupid. After all, millions of angst-ridden teen poems can't possibly be wrong." -- R.K.Milholland

All Hail the Mighty Pettsson!

"So cheap and juicy!"

Acara_ns3
Relic Raider

Post by Acara_ns3 »

obviously
wen al great heros are sleeping invisibel creatures wil kill them , and so it will be =)

Anonymous_ns3

Post by Anonymous_ns3 »

No not really, but I'm just trying to think of ways to lessen the effect of this change.

Maybe if the player progress is saved when logging off that would avoid the initial exploit?

Sorry to keep going on about this, but I never saw anyone using this exploit.

Actually, on the same topic, I was once fighting G1 with a Bard RDD Pale Master and I went to cast Epic Mage Armor when G1 started attacking me but I crashed (and died) and then relogged and was raised and then I cast Epic Mage Armor (it was available so I assumed I died before I cast it) and then instantly I was in jail... and nobody told me why I was there for ages, just stuck in there. Must have been some sort of automatic send to jail script?

Anyway, I don't think that should be done again because obviously the innocent can also get punished, but maybe this behaviour could be policed by the players? I mean, if I'm on I know when people are logging off and on constantly because I can see the server messages (it's normally back and forth between a new toon and an old toon called something the mule of something). I can then see if they are relogging the same toon and then bingo I can report it, that player is warned and if they repeat offend they get banned. At least that way we get rid of people using exploits so that new ones don't cause a problem.

P.S. Are [near] instant Hellballs an exploit?

Baatazu_ns3
Noob

Post by Baatazu_ns3 »

I once played on a server that booted you to town, took some of your gold and xp saying you were robbed by bandits when you logged with out resting first(even when you crashed). This seems like a easier, better solution to this problem. We prolly shouldnt complain.

Pros_ns3
Site Admin

Post by Pros_ns3 »

When did you get ported to jail? That part of the script was disabled a long time ago. I don't think you've seen anyone exploit the spells in a while because there is no longer any advantage to logging out to get the spells back.

Jabronius_ns3
Pk Bait

Post by Jabronius_ns3 »

There is an item that could allow you to save your buffing spells after a crash, the Sequencer Staff from Melencia. As far as I know, items aren't discharged after log outs, so that staff could provide some backup. Note that it won't hold offensive spells or spells you can cast on anyone else.

Hope that helps :)

Anonymous_ns3

Post by Anonymous_ns3 »

I've been playing ns for a long time, and as you can see from the build it was before the Pale Master nerf. It was on Pacific, player name was Squanderer of the Great Wanderer (exact case). After a few [real life] days of no help I was told by another player that I could port out if I had LP tokens which luckily I did have. However, I stopped playing that toon when the Pale Master nerf came in anyway (which was shortly after this event).

What Baatazu is saying seems to lend some weight to my theory that auto-saving player progress on log-out could be an alternative solution. Not sure if this is possible though... Pro, mate, buddy, maybe you can add this to a list of things to look at some time in the future?

Are the repeated re-logs detrimental to the server performance? Just asking since I still see plenty of those happening.

DM ex Machina_ns3
Forum Moderator

Post by DM ex Machina_ns3 »

just to clarify--yes, the relog for spells exploit got used a *lot.* not everywhere--just when the mages really needed more spells--like dwp crest. watching as a DM, it was interesting to see mages "crash" at the most convenient moments, like when they'd just cast out on exalted and couldn't rest.

Blaskor_ns3
Pk Bait

Post by Blaskor_ns3 »

Well let me tell you what I think of that, DM! I think --<CRASH>--

Whew, crashed before I put my foot in my mouth....what perfect timing.

Unfortunate this had to be done, but I totally agree with stopping the exploit. (Alas poor Kenny. I knew him Horatio. A man of Infinate XPs (well to 4th level.) He hath seen the same boots a thousand times!)
Blaskor

DM Xero_ns3
Forum Moderator

Post by DM Xero_ns3 »

Just a reminder that this isn't a new discussion:

http://www.nsrealm.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8411

Anyway, when the change first went in, I personally thought that honest people were being punished because of a few bad apples. However, after playing for some time with this change, I've realized that it isn't such a big deal. Really, if you're crashing that often then you've got bigger problems than losing your spells (ie. your computer's broken :P)

So you have to be more careful about where you log out? Or you have to find somewhere to rest if you crash? Well mages are uber enough that they should be able to handle a slight hardship.

Return to “Tweaks and mod updates”