No mules
11%
Occasional encounter of 'rust monster' like creatures
11%
Occasional encounter of disarming monsters
11%
Creatures that pickpocket
10%
Item degradation (items degrade the more you use them)
14%
Item decay (items decay when you DON'T use them)
8%
Chance of item loss on death (perhaps by the creatures that kill you)
9%
No items need to be removed from the economy - ever (please justify)
24%

Total votes: 96

Mops
Developer

Re: Items in the Economy

Post by Mops »

Retzbu Tox wrote:
Amoenotep wrote:a banking system to allow for on death drop of all items in your inventory.
I am not sure I grasp what this means... :?
He said - you die you lose all your loot so better have a new set stashed away in a bank.
Or at least I think that's what he said with aprox 86.43% probability.
Neversummer resident
Currently MIA.

LinuxPup
Professor Nerfalicious

Post by LinuxPup »

Definitely rust monsters.... I never put those in NS4 despite the pressure from Tep. Maybe I made a mistake? :lol:

How about random Rust Monster days where only rust monster spawn and nothing else.
Lead NS4 developer

[ Brilhasti ap Tarj ]
[ ...Darkfalz... ]
[ Azchekelon ]

Retzbu Tox
Noob

Post by Retzbu Tox »

If you have rust monsters, you also need moths to eat cloth and leather armor, and wood-boring beetles to eat bows and staves... :D
TSS Toons: Quillaryl [fletcher] / Lotus Path [tailor] / Reverend Oak [scrolls] / Squire Ashe [armor] / Ratto Slyhand [locksmith]
CLAD Toons: Sanctus Lux [paragon of virtue]
Non-guild crafters: Verdant Arboreus [leather] & Newton Spellbender [arcane]

Does the Silver Strider possess the Power Cosmic?

MLoki
Relic Raider

Post by MLoki »

There are Rust Monsters in NS4 and I was honestly afraid of them at first. But after killing them enough times I started to realize that there was no danger of losing my weapon to them. Still scared the crap out of me for awhile though. Even though this is a NS5 poll some things could still be done for NS4 to tweak it in similiar ways. I do like the last idea about item decay upon death. Adds a little fear factor to dying other then checking to make sure everybody has raises.
Amoenotep wrote:i want your toon to be useless :)

Retzbu Tox
Noob

Post by Retzbu Tox »

Amoenotep wrote:a banking system so you can "mule"/"stash" all your items in so you don't have to keep them in your inventory.
then add in if you die...your body leaves remains and anything not equipped to your person ie. your inventory, is left in the remains to be stolen ;)
That's not too bad. You have an option for safe storage and have some choice as to which items you are putting at risk. :D
TSS Toons: Quillaryl [fletcher] / Lotus Path [tailor] / Reverend Oak [scrolls] / Squire Ashe [armor] / Ratto Slyhand [locksmith]

Lorkar
Spamalot

Post by Lorkar »

Amoenotep wrote:a banking system so you can "mule"/"stash" all your items in so you don't have to keep them in your inventory.

then add in if you die...your body leaves remains and anything not equipped to your person ie. your inventory, is left in the remains to be stolen ;)
The only problem with that system is that it will create an appreciable amount of lag as it has to keep track of the remains. It also means that screens will not auto clear when a player transitions. I have seen this in action before and while it is fine for a low population server it will create headaches for NS. I still believe an "imprinting" system will solve any economy "problems" that come up, it will even solve the farming issue as each item will only ever have one owner. The only small problem I see it having is with players using Disarm to acquire weapons and then not being able to use them. But even that would open up the gold economy since players might be more willing to sell back the weapons.
As far as the gold economy goes I would like to see some type of permanent housing implemented where a player could purchase a basic hovel for 10 million gold and any furnishings would be extra. A perma chest would run about 50 million gold(with 1 page of inventory, extra pages could be purchased at 25 million a page). I used the hovel as a base example, hovel=10 million, house=20 million, small building=30 million, large building=40 million, mansion=50 million, a fort=75 million and a castle =150million. With these prices I would think there would be very little gold left over for anything else.
A player would have to submit an itemized list of what they wanted and then once approved would have to build it according to NS5's zoning codes (you could even make a guy that they would have to pay to get the zoning permit) and then a dev or dm could place it when accepted. That would minimize the work on the staff side as well.
I put the IO in socIOpath!
Lokey wrote:Yeah, ... I blame Tep in that case.
ImageImage

Dragongrams
Noob

Post by Dragongrams »

After reading all the threads, i'm seriously considering leaving NS4 if these changes are implemented. I have enough trouble gathering gold and gear for the toons I have. Rarely do I have 500k gold, and that on my only level 40 toon. PvP isn't hard enough, you want to make it almost impossible to survive. Sheesh.

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

why don't we realize this is the NWN2 NS5 poll section and not ns4?
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

Mops
Developer

Post by Mops »

Amoenotep wrote:why don't we realize this is the NWN2 NS5 poll section and not ns4?
Never noticed that people don't pay too much attention to what they read?
Neversummer resident
Currently MIA.

Retzbu Tox
Noob

Post by Retzbu Tox »

Lorkar wrote:A perma chest would run about 50 million gold(with 1 page of inventory, extra pages could be purchased at 25 million a page).
I have seen players on other servers willing to pay vast sums for permanent storage, but that was when they were only allowed a small set number of characters, so there were few if any mules. If you can have a batch of mules, why pay that much for permanent storage?
Lorkar wrote:A player would have to submit an itemized list of what they wanted and then once approved would have to build it according to NS5's zoning codes (you could even make a guy that they would have to pay to get the zoning permit) and then a dev or dm could place it when accepted. That would minimize the work on the staff side as well.
When each player designs their own homes, it takes DM/Dev time to vet them and put them in the mod, and players that don't feel comfortable using the toolset might never build anything. If a selection of pre-designed houses is also available (maybe at a lower price?) it could streamline the process and make it more accessible to those who don't use the toolset.

Mops
Developer

Post by Mops »

Retzbu Tox wrote:
Lorkar wrote:A player would have to submit an itemized list of what they wanted and then once approved would have to build it according to NS5's zoning codes (you could even make a guy that they would have to pay to get the zoning permit) and then a dev or dm could place it when accepted. That would minimize the work on the staff side as well.
When each player designs their own homes, it takes DM/Dev time to vet them and put them in the mod, and players that don't feel comfortable using the toolset might never build anything. If a selection of pre-designed houses is also available (maybe at a lower price?) it could streamline the process and make it more accessible to those who don't use the toolset.

You're all forgetting engine limitations on NWN2... this is not NWN1 where you can shell out 300 areas with not negatives.
Neversummer resident
Currently MIA.

Lorkar
Spamalot

Post by Lorkar »

I merely made suggestions, I am not aware of engine limitations in either NWN1 or NWN2. The suggestions I made were from personal observations on other servers.
I put the IO in socIOpath!
Lokey wrote:Yeah, ... I blame Tep in that case.
ImageImage

Shadowalker
Relic Raider

Post by Shadowalker »

It seams to me the problem boils down to:

??How do we limit/control the spread of gear among the hardcore often guilded players who have the time and friends to mass a dragon sized hord of gear, without discouraging the less dedicated players??

The item linked to the toon that equips it is a good start I think. Just add a Legacy Clause. The gear loses its ownership link in the event of the owners/toons 'Permant Deletion/Death'

"John Doe of DTW, dies and will's his 'Sword of Thieves' to his heir or gives it to charity where it then finds its way into that hands of another toon that can make good use of"

ps. DTW = Dead Toon Walking
Twig (TSS) - Twig [CLAD] - Twigs -Fury- - SyNfully Rotted Twig - Twig'lee -Down Under- - Twig'zilla

Fergus Glonshire [FoN] - Sakij Lovac [FoN] - Zatharus Rivermoon (TSS) - Bumble (TSS) - Body built for SyN

Rummybum
Newbie Helper

Post by Rummybum »

I 100% agree with SkotG my toons are so darn poor they can hardly afford the Windate ferry. All i need is to lose even more items to diarm or other stuff. Let's find something else interesting and fun to occupy what little Dev time is available.
Vastly confused

Wolfarus
Newbie Helper

Post by Wolfarus »

As ive suggested before, why not solve the item / gold problem with the following (combined) ways (i mentioned this for ns4)

1. Set up a "shop" system. Players who are of certain level can buy a table to sell their excess items. They have to pay the NPC merchant -x- amount of gold / per real-time month / week (whatever amount of time you think is most balanced) or the table "closes" and the players cant even get their items back until the fee is paid. Other players can buy what they want.

2. Set up gambling npc's, exactly like they have in Diablo 2. You are given a variety of un id'd items, and you pay -x- gold for them. You never know what you'll get (weither or not the devs decide to include the truly rare items in this possible jackpot is up to them)

Both of these suggestions, working together, would provide a good (if not perfect) solution to both the gold-hoarding problem AND the item-hording problem. If lower-level players need certain gear pieces, they can visit the various player-shops (shoudlnt be concentrated in just one city, either. There should be several cities and several places to rent a table, so higher level players can have more then just 1). If you really wanted to keep the economy flowing, also impliment the -chance of breakage- rule. (though speaking from personal experience, this breaking chance shoudlnt be applied to the truly rare (say level 30+) items. Nothing pisses somebody off more then FINALLY getting that Hammer of godly awesomness +12, something he's been looking for for months of real time.. that takes a miracle to find.. only to have it break 3 days later.

Though im not sure of what factor, if any, that allot of player-ran tables (and the npc's working them) would have on the server and lag.

Return to “NS5 Player Polls”