Death/Respawn penalties

What sort of Death/Respawn penalties should NS5 have?

Simple gold/XP % cost for respawning
34%
Gold/XP/chance of equipment loss on respawn
8%
Scaled gold/XP for respawning (the more/more frequently you die, the higher the gold/xp cost)
9%
XP debt system (you don't lose XP, you just are in 'XP Debt' you have to make up before you gain any more XP)
21%
Ability penalties for dying (eventual reduced CON/STR). Possible to remove these effects through some sort of quest activity or religious devotion.
8%
Gold/XP penalties plus some sort of purgatory/underworld/ghost system
21%

Total votes: 53

Wolfarus
Newbie Helper

Re: Death/Respawn penalties

Post by Wolfarus »

It would, i think.

Not only would it discourage mutually agreed apon pvp (like for duals, ect. Unless the people involved implicitly trusted one another) it would prob also encourage pvp predation. People going around, pvp'ing lower lvls just to take their gear and use it as they see fit. Highly doubt that would encourage the playerbase to grow :P

Normal gold / xp loss is prob the safest bet. The ghost world idea could be fun, provided it was well thought out and implimented, and prob only reserved for people who are past lvl 16 (and thus should have a pretty good idea of what they are doing by that point, so punishing them with time spent in the neither-world would be justified, as opposed to throwing in a 1st or 2nd lvl player who's only been on the server for a cple hours)

Dugaru
Developer

Post by Dugaru »

Haven't read the above posts except OP, but here's a point to consider.

Level 30/40 (max level, whatever it is at the time) characters will not fear death if the penalty is XP only, especially if it is XP debt and they are not in danger of losing a level.

Voted gp/xp loss.
-ns5 class balance-

MightySamson
Noob

Post by MightySamson »

Dugaru wrote:Haven't read the above posts except OP, but here's a point to consider.

Level 30/40 (max level, whatever it is at the time) characters will not fear death if the penalty is XP only, especially if it is XP debt and they are not in danger of losing a level.

Voted gp/xp loss.
I'm new here, so I know my vote will only count for squat, but here goes anyhow.
I look at this from a PvP point of view. I'm voting for the XP debt for the exact opposite reason quoted above. You want Death to matter when you are level'ing up a char, but you don't want death to matter when you are max lvl 30. This way, PvP is encouraged since there is no real loss. Leads to some nice 30 vs 30 battles.

I may re-visit and edit after I play a bit.

Triad-Hype
Developer

Post by Triad-Hype »

Agreed. PVP between faction is one of the key items people look for so they should not be penalized trying to improve there faction status, breading a little hate between factions is half the fun.

Long Live The Triad

Rufio
PKer

Post by Rufio »

You know, I don't have nwn2 and can't play NS5, but I assume NS5 is like NS4 in that there is never an exp penalty of any kind for pvp.
Sebastian (TSS) Doc - Rufio of (TSS) - Dagr (TSS)
Raijin {FoN} - Arcadia {FoN} - Geb {FoN}

Return to “NS5 Player Polls”