Weapon buffs

Buff it? Nerf it? Make your suggestions here.
frogofpeace

Weapon buffs

Post by frogofpeace »

Re discussion in #suggestions on Discord, greataxes are weak, too.

Garn

Re: Weapon buffs

Post by Garn »

I'd prefer to have made my own thread, but I won't because I don't want to clutter up the forums

to re-cap and revise what I'd said, I'd like the following weapon changes to be made to the game, considering these things:
-given the complete lack of sickles above level 25, barring crafted and IA sickles which don't count, sickles could use some love; the addition of higher-level sickles, assuming that the best sickle is not +8 and has acid damage on it(and so synergizes badly with stone golem shape and is inferior to the spider fang for shifters), is that people who want a simple finessable weapon have a worthwhile slashing option, even if its crit range and enhancement bonus is inferior to that of the dagger
-EDIT: greataxes and spears, as well as tridents, are essentially bad weapons in comparison to other weapon options that exist, namely scythes, halberds, heavy flails, and greatswords; certain endgame spears, greataxes, and tridents should be buffed
-bastard swords and dwarven waraxes suck; they are never, ever, ever, EVER(in the endgame) worth the exotic feat that is required to get weapon focus/specialization/critical feats with them... celestial cleaver has exactly +1 damage over gish's axe, and blade of the abyss and lumi smiter aren't as good as silver sword of gith
-EDIT: clubs kinda suck compared to maces; both are simple 20/x2 bludgeoning weapons, but mace of menzoberra is perhaps slightly better than guardian bones; given that druids aren't really gonna spec into a weapon as an unshifted melee hitter unless its unarmed strike, in which case they'll have dragon shape, I'd say that guardian bones, especially given its being a level 40 weapon compared to mace of menzoberra requiring level 30 to use, should be buffed, as being a medium weapon should give clubs some sort of benefit over a smaller weapon other than just being a bit harder to disarm than maces are
the one, single balance concern that'd arise from the buffing of guardian bones is that stone golem shifters would hit as much harder as you'd buff guardian bones by, assuming that they don't opt to use the spider fang instead, and if that matters so much, then you can lower their KD bolt DC by 1 for all I care, so long as that club gets buffed... iron golems aren't exactly a concern because the spider fang's acid damage isn't anti-synergisitc with iron golem's electrical damage

#1:
add a +6 lvl 30 sickle to the game called gila sickle, which would drop from gila mozis

#2:
add a +6 level 35 sickle to the game called leskylor claw, which would drop from leskylors in elysium; it wouldn't be +7 for the same reason that all the other non-boss melee weapons in elysium are +6, and thats okay... this would obviously hit harder than gila sickle

#3:
add a +7 level 40 sickle to the game called claw of the dracolich, which would drop from the dracolich; unlike the old dracolich kama that was so OP that it had to be removed from the game, this sickle, due to its being +7, would have less bonus damage than the old kama did, and, unlike the old kama, it wouldn't benefit from monk UBAB because it isn't a kama
I'm not asking that it be +8 because adding another +8 weapon to the game would presumably open a different can of worms that doesn't need to be opened
I'm also not asking that is be +6 because giving the item bonus damage to account for its enhancement bonus being 2 points lower than a level 40 item would "normally" be is part of the reason why claw of the dracolich was so overpowered in the first place... so, obviously, this new claw of the dracolich would have less bonus damage than the old one did

#4:
EDIT: add, 2 or maybe 2.5 average damage per hit to obsidian trident of hatred, icicle, and abyssal fiend greataxe
EDIT EDIT: upon further thought, this subject is much touchier than I'd thought; for the time being, I wouldn't do anything to these weapons until a better solution can be thought of

#5:
to buff bastard swords, instead of buffing blade of the abyss or lumi smiter, given that those enemies are only oh-so-hard to kill and should only have oh-so-good loot, you could instead make kithrak be able to drop his bastard sword as a level 40 +8 weapon; in this case, adding a +8 weapon to the game wouldn't be opening a big can of worms because, like longswords(which already have 2 +8 options), bastard swords are slashing and have 19-20/x2 base criticals

#6:
to buff dwarven waraxes, instead of buffing celestial cleaver, given that celestial avengers are only oh-so-hard to kill and should only have oh-so-good loot, you could instead add a +7 level 40 dwarven waraxe to the game... but where?
the best idea that I could think of is giving demogorgon a +7 dwarven waraxe, which obviously has extra bonus damage on it to compensate for its being a +7 weapon instead of a +8 weapon
to provide a justification for demogorgon dropping a dwarven waraxe, demogorgon could dual-wield buffed NPC-only versions of this dwarven waraxe, and possibly also have overwhelming crit or maybe even devcrit, making demogorgon be roughly as dangerous as before
and if you're worried about the lore, it is true that demogorgon doesn't use a weapon, but zaphikel is supposed to possess no weapons or armor, which he has both of in NS4, and the forest home isn't named the deep wilds, and theres no city of brass in the plane of fire, and so on and so forth, so don't worry too much about the lore

EDIT: #7:
to buff clubs, make guardian bones have a bit more damage on it, maybe like cervidal conciliator, but +7; thats all clubs really need to be worth something

also, while you're at it, dyloxis' impaler pales in comparison to the purifier, which is a weapon of the same type and same level, and is easier to get than dyloxis' impaler, and mighty talon pales in comparison to githyanki silver sword, which is easier to get than mighty talon, so buff dyloxis' impaler by increasing the piercing damage to 2d12 and increasing the electrical or negative energy damage to 1d10, and buff mighty talon by either increasing the bonus fire/cold/electrical/acid/sonic damage to 3 or increasing its piercing damage to 2d12
Last edited by Garn on Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 8 times in total.

frogofpeace

Re: Weapon buffs

Post by frogofpeace »

You were too slow - time's a-wastin'!