Double Weapon Requirement

General Discussion for the General Population
Nulesi

Double Weapon Requirement

Post by Nulesi »

I would like to use a Dire Mace, but want to make sure what requirements are needed. What requirements are needed for a strength-based, heavy armor wearing DD to use a Dire Mace?
The wiki only states the "exotic weapon" feat is required when looking at the weapon stats. Some say I also may need the ambidex feat and 2-weapon fighting feat, but wiki does not state that anywhere. Plus, if that were true, then would I also need 15 dex (which would make it near impossible to use a double weapon on a str-based build).

Bargeld
Site Admin

Re: Double Weapon Requirement

Post by Bargeld »

Requirement is only exotic.

Two weap fight, ambedex, improved two weap all improve the ab or number of attacks.

So with exotic you can wield it/equip it, but you are -6/-10 when dual wielding. Dire weapon considers the offhand as a light weapon.

From two weapon fighting feat on wiki:
Specifics: A character with this feat reduces the penalties suffered when fighting with two weapons. The normal penalty of -6 to the primary hand and -10 to the off-hand becomes -4 for the primary hand and -8 for the off-hand. The Ambidexterity feat further reduces the attack penalty for the second weapon by 4 (to -4/-4). Best results are achieved if the off-hand weapon is light, further reducing the penalty for both the primary and off-hand by 2 (to -2/-2).

Nulesi

Post by Nulesi »

So, even if you take all the feats, my final ab will have a -2 penalty? Do I also need 15 dex?

Bargeld
Site Admin

Post by Bargeld »

Yes, final ab is -2 but you have 2 additional attacks all the time, so it's kinda like monk flurry with a single weapon but with 1 more attack. Monk with all dual weap feats and 2 kama will get 8 attacks + 1 flurry. Dire weapon gets 6.
Assuming 16bab.
Haste adds 1 more attack to both.

And yes 15 dex req for those feats. Might want to check wiki for individual feat requirements.

frogofpeace

Post by frogofpeace »

Dire maces also have really nice DI/DR - a big help with no shield.

Bargeld
Site Admin

Post by Bargeld »

True, i forgot about that. You can get 15/10 on all 3 with the right combo.

Nulesi

Post by Nulesi »

Hard enough to get the AB with any build, so -2 does not work. Won't hit decent builds. Plus, don't have enough feats avail, since Rangers excluded for both MA and SL. Basically no 2 sided weapons if you are MA or SL. Thx for reply though.

frogofpeace

Post by frogofpeace »

Why not that nifty githyanki fighter with double weapon? Or a barb?

Bargeld
Site Admin

Post by Bargeld »

Also, although ranger saves you feats, they also lose the additional offhand attack completely. The only way to get the full attacks is to take all the actual feats. Same in all factions.

frogofpeace

Post by frogofpeace »

Eh? Improved Two Weapon Fighting at 9 ranger levels?