Bards

General Discussion for the General Population
Nulesi

Bards

Post by Nulesi »

So, bards cannot cast in armor; yet they cannot take auto still spell. Tell me how this makes sense? No wonder nobody ever builds bards.

Bargeld
Site Admin

Re: Bards

Post by Bargeld »

Most bards take off armor and shield to buff then run into battle forgetting to put armor back on. Or if robes/dex, no worries, just shield.

Then manually still some stuff for battle casting or just swap shield out, cast, shield back on.

Also 2 good shields with 0% failure, and a 3rd ok one. Or just use small.

frogofpeace

Post by frogofpeace »

Bishop had a really nice dexer bard build in IO. War Bard of IO or something like that.

Lokey

Post by Lokey »

Still spell is a thing, it's why there's level 7 bard slots on items. Couple shield with -arcane spell failure.

We talk about removing arcane spell failure from armor enough that we can at least try it when we update files again.

Bargeld
Site Admin

Post by Bargeld »

Assuming they have 8 dex boots and 4 dex buff, for +6 dex ac, only need 16 base dex to be the same ac as full plate. So removing failure from some full plates opens up a few new options. And requires proficiency, so mainly bg/pal type things or burn 1 feat instead of 3 for auto still.

Wouldn't be a major balance tip.

Celorn

Post by Celorn »

The problem with dex bards is the damage is not quite as good as a str-based bard.

I have a few str-based bards (Bard/BG/bb is a nice combo or bard/rdd) on the old NS4 that do pretty well, but fiddling with armor and shields has always been annoying (lots of micro-managing).

There is the one plate armor for bards but still has a 15% spell fail, if even that armor had -50% so 0% fail then it would be great.

But hey I'd be fine with getting rid of bard arcane failure all together - would be awesome!