Poor Low Level Adventuring

General Discussion for the General Population
Vegitto24

Re: Poor Low Level Adventuring

Post by Vegitto24 »

I died a few times while leveling my toon to level 13. Yes, it is hard at level 1. That should not discourage a new player to quit and leave though. Learn from the mistakes and try again.

Sure, there's a penalty for respawning but once you get the hang of this server, it's a blast. And as you level up your toon, you get more coins and you can use them to improve your gear.

There are ways to fight monsters based on my experience. You have to creep along carefully and face the monsters one or few at a time. If you are end up being surrounded well hope your defense can hold up. Or if you are fighting inside a mine for example lure them to a narrow corridor so they can not come at you at the same time. If the fight goes bad, run away like it depends on it. Also it's always a good idea to have an exit strategy. It can save you from dying.

Vegitto24

Re: Poor Low Level Adventuring

Post by Vegitto24 »

That's exactly what I was doing. Get a shield, a weapon and some healing kits. Like minds think alike, eh? :D
Thoth wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:28 am I thought I would write this for those who read the original post and so as to not be discouraged.

As someone who has made plenty of characters, at low-levels the main factors for starting out:

1) if you have dex 12+ purchase a standard sling and 1 box of 99 bullets (standard or iron) - you can do so from starting quartermaster like characters near where you spawn.

2) if dex-based - pick up tailored robes/cloth armor and pick up ones that have 5% slash resist (this will save you from rat damage). If str-based pick up mundane plate for the high AC.

3) if you can use a shield, purchase a small masterwork iron mesh (pierce) or masterwork iron reinforced (slash) resist shield. Have different damage types i.e. armor slash w/ shield pierce or bludgeon. Go sword and board for first two levels before switching to a two-handed weapon if that's the build you've chosen.

Most starting areas the monsters do slash or pierce damage. For example In Melencia (The Circle) the goblin slingers do bludgeon and also have the Booger bullets that do 1 acid damage. So take them out first from range. Take out chickens at range as they do more than 1 damage. I've found if my screen lags a little there's a hidden monster usually a dire rat. Try to keep moving so you're not flat-footed and move close to an exit point just in case the battle goes bad and keep that trigger finger on the heal kit. Also, if you can resist the urge to respawn, if your constitution is reasonable, you can heal up while on the ground. Just hope your attacker has moved off enough to use that heal kit. Drinking a potion would generate and Attack of Opportunity and send you back into a dirt-nap.

4. If a spellcaster - Summon I is your friend and conjuration focus feats will buff your summons as you level.

5. If a wizard - pick up Shelgarn's Persistent Blade at level 1 as it is Immune to crits, sneak damage and mind-affecting spells and has decent damage plus later you can cast flame weapon (2nd lvl spell) on it for some extra damage. Rangers and Druids should cast Magic Fang (level 1) for some extra damage for their summons.

6. Pick up at least 10 Healing kits +1, those with more strength pick up 20.

7. Pick up a mundane wpn or if you can squeeze it in a small masterwork iron weapon like a club, dagger or light hammer to start especially if you have strength 12+.

8. Range attack (spells or sling) for the first 2-3 levels and then switch to melee weapon as they get closer. If a spellcaster, pick up Endure Elements to prevent damage from goblin slingers, beetles, low-level spells. You can shoot at targets like beetles at long-range and can get a number of shots in and they may not notice you. Just make sure to move in a little when they show up as near-dead to collect the xp.

9. Wpn finesse at level 3 if dex-based and a non-fighter class will obviously help in melee.

10. Rest often. Kill a few monsters and then rest / shard recall back to town - upgrade gear, get healing kits +1 and milky white potions (cure light wounds but way more expensive). I prefer healing kits because you can also use on your summons if not a healing class (cleric, druid etc) and they won't generate attacks of opportunity.

There's no perma-gear like what some other servers may have and as such suits different play styles. Plenty of areas to discover, you can craft your own gear, find unique items, farm for items to get gear for other characters etc. Party up to be sociable or solo a number of areas to test your build. PVP and relic raid to pick up xp-bonuses for your faction. It's balanced. To sum up the server is fine-tuned, quite balanced and rewarding.