running neverwinter nights diamond on Windows 10

General Discussion for the General Population
Fury

running neverwinter nights diamond on Windows 10

Post by Fury »

Hi Team,

I want to use the toolset in diamond because I love buiding and couldn't figure the edhanced one out..
it installed and works.. the toolset...

but Win 10 tells me it wont play the game because of some security bullshit... anyone know a way to get around this problem....

:evil:

Bargeld
Site Admin

Re: running neverwinter nights diamond on Windows 10

Post by Bargeld »

Short version of the long answer is that windows 10 locks down the ability to "write" files unless they are in specific directories. To avoid these problems with "older" software, they should be installed in c:\program files (x86) which is reserved for exactly this purpose. By default, NWN Diamond installs directly to C:\ and windows 10 won't let it write the config files and stuff.

To fix without reinstalling it into the x86 folder, go to the c:\ and right click neverwinter nights folder and do porperties. Go to the security tab and find your user in the list and click it. At the middle or bottom you want to change permissions to allow full control.

Alternately, if you are using the direct connect to the game exe, you can right click your shortcut and click to run as administrator and that should fix it too. If you try that on the main launcher, I don't think it works because you end up running the launcher/menu as admin, but when you navigate through and start game from the menus, it doesn't start as admin.